Search This Blog

Saturday, December 31, 2005

I was really thrilled to find out about the book, It's a Boy because it's a topic I had been wondering about. Girls are familiar to me, I mainly babysat for girls, I had 2 sisters, and their world is familiar to me as I was a girl! I'm a lot less confident about raising boys. I was glad I had a girl first. While I have nothing against having sons, I wanted my girl to be the firstborn. And I'm still hoping for at least one more. Girl clothes are so much cuter, just looking at them alone makes me want another girl baby. When I was pregnant I talked to my friend Diane who had a baby girl about a year before I did. We talked about how scary the world is now that you are a parent, and specifically with a girl-you worry about her dealing with men(eventually). Although boys get their hearts broken too, women just seem to get the worse end of the deal more often, and in crueler ways. We were all too aware of how men treat women and never wanted our daughters to have to go through that.

So now I wonder how to reconcile the way I think of most men with the little boys I have to raise. Sure they're all adorable now, but one day they'll be men. I can try my hardest to make them into the kind of man I would have wanted-but kids aren't just little balls of clay that you can mold. It just doesn't work that way.

By the way, in an interview the author/editor said that after doing a boy book and a girl book, the biggest difference between raisings boys and girls seemed to be that the relationship between mother/daughter seems to be more intense. That sounds about right to me.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know as I was growing up, I didn't have a father figure to rely on, so I relied on my Grandfather. I was he little girl, as if I was his dughter instead of his granddaughter.
I feel as a girl growing up, I was closer to my grandfather than the female species. But as I grwe older I became closer to my Grandmother, because my mom worked to provide for us. My Grandmother taught me how to be the woamn and mother I am today and I will be always greateful to her for that. I really miss her wisdom, she was a very smart woman.
My brother was closet to the female species as a little boy, until he was in his teen years, then things changed and he became my Grandfather's prodigy. He taught my brother how to build things, that is where he got his wisdom in remodeling. My grandfather was always tinkering in the garage, that was his workshop. He made picnic tables, chairs, little boxes, etc..He was a very talented man, when it came to building something.
My son Tom, also is a very talented young man, I really think that he got that on his own though..He was always trying to take Tonka trucks apart as a little boy, but could never put them back together again, he was so cute..He loved making things for me in school in workshop. I still have the oven rack puller he made and the address sign he made, but that isn't up because we had awnings put up and there is no place to hang it, maybe one day we will find a place for it again. When he started working with his Uncle, that is when he really started to learn his talent. Now Steph and his kids and his parents can reap the rewards of his work. I am very proud of raising a nice young man.
My son Bill, is also a talented young man..He knows how to take music from a tape and put it on a CD, or a music video and put it on a CD. I think he got that from his father, always tickering with electronics when he was a kid watching him. He taught himself more in that feild.
Where I have 2 different boys, they each have their own talents and personality. I wouldn't change them for anything. I want them to know that I love them each in their own way and that I'm very proud of each of their accomplishments. So after I leave this world just remember you were my babies and the best thing that ever happened to me and my world.

sajmom said...

Ask Leanna, she'll tell you, "my Daddy can fix anything!"

sajmom said...

One of the neat things about this blog is that now stories like this one about your grandparents are preserved for your grandchildren!

sajmom said...

amazing!