Search This Blog

Friday, January 11, 2008

How to beat Excema naturally.

This is for my own reference, but it could help anyone you know who suffers from excema(The itch that rashes). On the last doctor visit it was extremely cold out and we walked, so Jacob was really bundled up. Then we went inside and it was unsufferably warm. His face which had already been red went to practically scarlett because of the heat. The doctor just gave me a few tiny samples of aquaphor (which Motherwear had sent me as a diaper rash cream or just for skin a few years ago). It's basically like putting patroleum jelly on your skin. And she talked about prescribing hydrocortisone cream also. No talk of prevention.
I've been useing some excema cream my sister got Jacob for Christmas, but I have mixed feelings about it. He cries when I put it on. My Mom has never researched it, but she said everything she's seen that mentioned excema talked about it being the body releasing toxins. Which makes sense, probably a lot of skin problems are a result of that. So if his body is trying to get rid of bad stuff, me covering his skin with a heavy lotion means that the bad stuff can't get out and is reabsorbed into the body. But if I don't use it, his skin get so red and dry it starts to crack. He gets scratch marks all over his face and head, even on the day I trim his nails.
Justin had excema too but his was very mild, he just get red and it looked like a rash but his never itched. I put lotion on him once a day until he was about a year old and it practically went away. When he is very hot his cheeks get red, that's it.
So I've been racking my brain trying to think of things we've done differently since Jacob's skin broke out. Which was around the end of November. On a whim today I googled coffee and excema and found this website, as well as a few mentions of the two. From what I can tell, it doesn't look like it's the only cause, but it can be a trigger, mainly in heavy coffee drinkers. But I'm thinking I may have been drinking more coffee than usual lately, or possibly just having more caffeine in general. I don't drink more than two cups a day. But I did get chocolate for Christmas and that combined with the extra cup of cofee (and holiday stress) that may be enough to do it? I'm thinking I'll purposely cut back on all forms of caffeine and see what happens.

(Interestingly, that website mentions Evening Primrose oil as a way to help heal it, and I have some left over from trying to naturally induce Jacob's labor, so I'll be taking that too).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The best way to determine what someone is allergic to is to go on a vegan diet for 2-3 days and then reintroduce a meal that was once enjoyed, if you don't have a reaction then you are not allergic to the meal.If you do get a reaction then you know you must eliminated that meal or animal product from your diet.Do this several time and you will eventually find out what is toxin to your body.Google elimination diet.
Vinnie