Search This Blog

Friday, January 04, 2008

A family of pack rats

It's funny, my mother in law just posted a link to an article on clutter being bad for you and I'd been thinking about that subject lately. It really is harder for some of us to get rid of things.......what's funny is that the stuff I'm willing to get rid of, my husband wants to keep. The stuff he wants to get rid of, I want to keep.....and stuff we're both willing to throw out, Leanna wants to keep!! I thought at this point we had only passed this on to Leanna but then today I realized Justin's already got it too:
I tried to have Timothy wear a soccer sweatsuit his paternal grandparents had given Justin last Christmas. It was on the small side when he got it, but he loved it because it had a soccer ball on the chest. So Justin got very upset and grabbed the clothes and put them on despite my protestations that they didn't fit and should be passed on to Timothy. As Timothy started crying because Justin was wearing his clothes, Justin happily declared, "This is the perfect outfit!" (That is exactly what he said, lol) "It fits!" (Yeah, like Urkel!) So we compensated by having Timothy wear the sweater I had for Justin. Since it had a dump truck on the front, this was acceptable.
This wasn't really about "the perfect outfit." Justin was sentimentally attached to the clothes. I'm like that too, I get attached to things. So I'm not sure how to change it, or even if I necesarily should.

2 comments:

Michele said...

I am married to the King of Packrats! He has kept every single car magazine he has gotten since we got married, which was 23 years ago. He gets a weekly one, and about 4 monthly ones! In addition, he won't get rid of ANY clothing....there's stuff in our closet that he hasn't worn in ten years....and most likely doesn't fit him! It drives me nuts!!

Sue said...

Yes, I think we are all there. I want to discard things too and Chuck thinks we need to keep things, in case one day we need it. Well, if we haven't needed it yet who says we are going to.

But, then again, I love my baskets. I can't see getting rid of them, LOL! But I can get rig of all those old computer parts and accessories we have all over the house, LOL!