Search This Blog

Monday, January 21, 2008

Bugs, boys, and fear


Leanna shrieks, "A bug!" We all recoil. My Mom, about to leave, says, "Well, you know what you have to do Steph." But I battle a lifelong fear of bugs. When I was a child I used to have dreams about bugs chasing me around a sandbox. I hate them and irrationally fear them. As I stare at it, Justin picks up his shoe and marches over and starts beating it. (It should be noted that his initial reaction was to scream and jump back too). And he killed it. Then he brought his shoe over to me so I could scrape the bug off. I am relieved but a bit embarrassed that my three year old has fixed this problem for me.
Justin is getting so big. I look at him and he seems so tall suddenly. In subtle ways he is losing his babyishness. His tiny body looks so male with its broad little shoulders. It's funny, one minute he's trying on his sister's dress, the next he's crashing cars into people or things. Or he's trying to fix the broken remote. Or he's carrying around his toolbox, fixing things. While wearing the dress. He's all male, but still unafraid to have feminine traits too. I hope he doesn't lose that. Yet I fear other people's reactions if he doesn't.
Sometimes I can't believe that I'm raising three boys. I don't know what I'm doing here. It's completely uncharted territory for me. I really hope I can rise to the occasion.

6 comments:

Sue said...

Well, if Justin doesn't like bugs he sure isn't like his daddy. Tom always played with some sort of bug. He was always getting dirty and playing around.

sajmom said...

Oh no-he does like bugs. Last summer he kept playing with the poor worms in the backyard. His initial reaction is to scream and jump back probably because he's modeling MY behavior.

Sue said...

Well, I'm glad he is like most boys and bugs. Whenever you see a boy playing he usually is play with a bug, LOL.

ADP said...

I know what you mean Steph, I've noticed the same thing for awhile. He's such a boy, I get a kick out of watching him. So masculine. And yet he has a soft, sweet side to him. It just amazed me when I saw him picking up that boot, he saw a problem that no one else was fixing, and he fixed it.

Michele said...

I love the 'bad hair day' on all the subjects in this picture!!!

sajmom said...

LOL Michelle! They've all seen their fair share of lovin'. Some to their detriment!