Search This Blog

Thursday, November 19, 2009

Today in School

Leanna, happy that she's finally getting the place values stuff right. Here's an example of where having money really can help with homeschooling. I was trying to get through to her and we were sitting there over and over trying to get this material done. And at night I was looking up new ways to teach it. Nothing seemed to be working. I mentioned it to my Mom by chance, and she said, "Oh! We have place values stuff at work!" And a night or two later she brought me the packet. We tried it once, and then had to wait for my Mom to take it back and laminate it (or else in our house it would have been toast!) and it was amazing how fast Lfeanna learned the material that way. All the books say that money has nothing to do with homeschooling sucess. I'd say that's generally true, but I think this demonstrates one way that it can make a difference. I would not have gone out looking for something I could buy to help, we just don't have the money now. In this case it made the difference though. It's nice to have options when you get stuck!
Leanna's journals, she writes in them nearly every day. Though some days it's a story, some days it's a poem or a song, or a cheer. It ought to be interesting to see the evaluator read through those. The L.I.W. biography I'm currently reading, then Leanna will too.
This is Leanna doing the place values today. I have no clue why it was necesary to wear a baby blanket over her head while doing it, but it was.

Justin and Timothy were at work, hammering away at some wood their Dad gave them. They even try to put crayons and markers behind their ears, like Daddy.



Since people often wonder what we're doing in school, this is today's stuff. We also read two Chameleon books, Timothy joined us for those. I read one, Leanna did the other. We broke for Curious George (I'm amazed by how much information Justin picks up from that show!) Later we'll read another chapter of Little House on the Prairie. Leanna also did more of the booklet from the pet store(quizzes on animal care, mazes, and coloring, etc.) We're planning a notebook/lapbook Frog project, we've been looking at techniques. We might do a bit more later on. We mainly work in the afternoons. Today is a shorter day because of Brownies, we stop a little earlier to make her supper beforehand and for her to be ready in time. Tonight she will be making pumpkin pie for the church they use, to show their appreciation.




No comments: