Search This Blog

Sunday, November 29, 2009

After Thanksgiving

Leanna, in her stained Thanksgiving dress
Aunt Laura and Timothy, resting

My Dad holding the Mincemeat pie. It didn';t come out quite right though, too watery. Ah well, a first attempt, and I had to use concentrated mincemeat as the store was out of the jarred kind. Plus I didn't get rum, I had to substitute apple juice.


I don't know how Tom and I got a kid that likes Pumpkin pie! Yuck!


We had our own Thanksgiving dinner and afterwards the kids and I went next door to visit for a bit. My Mom and sister were then heading over to see Aunt Cindy and Betsy at Aunt Delorce's house. I had to get Leanna ready for her sleepover and since everyone couldn't go, I felt my place was with my family. So after a short visit, we quickly got Leanna ready for her sleepover with her friend Marlena. It went quite well-the next day they went to Bounce U, Friendly's for dinner, and had their nails done! Wow. I never had a sleepover party like that!

5 comments:

Sue said...

WTG, Justin on the pumpkin pie. That is one of Nanny-Sue's favorite pies. I also like Tastykake Lemon Pie, too. The best!

I'm so glad Leanna had a great sleep-over. Where's the pic of her beautiful nails?

Sounds like you all had a nice Thanksgiving, after all. I wouldn't have tried the mincemeat pie, YUK, in my book.

Jamie said...

whats mincemeat pie made of?

Jamie said...

(it reminds me of a nursery rhyme for some reason)

sajmom said...

Maybe you're thinking of plum pudding?? They do date back to midevil times though.

In Great Britain, and other countries, such as Ireland, mince pies are seen as a favourite food of Father Christmas. Children leave one or two mince pies on a plate at the foot of the chimney (along with a small glass of brandy, sherry or milk, and a carrot for the reindeer) as a thank you for filling their stockings.

a British festive sweet pastry, traditionally consumed during the Christmas and New Year period. Mince pies normally have a pastry top, but versions may also be found without the top in which case they are known as mince tarts. Mince pies are filled with mincemeat – a preserve typically containing apple, dried fruits such as raisins and sultanas, spices, and either suet or vegetable shortening.

Unfortunately, most people have never tasted a true old-fashioned mincemeat pie (also called mince pie). The flavor of real mince meat pie (not the bottled version purchased at your local store) is sort of like a Middle Eastern mixture of cloves, cinnamon and nutmeg. There's a definite meaty taste, with an ever-so-slight sweet flavor.

Jamie said...

yum! SO not what i was thinking of!!