Search This Blog

Sunday, November 08, 2009

Expectations of help

An article on expectations of help. Basically a male author talks about how he and his wife were surprised to find that her relatives, who lived close and had seemed so excited to meet the baby suddenly dropped off the face of the earth shortly after the child's birth. They had expected a little more-maybe a phone call to ask how they or the baby was, offers for a cooked meal here and there or occasional babysitting. The author's mother in law stayed with them for the first three months though until she had to go back home (far away). They don't ask for help because they feel it'd be a sign of weakness and the wife's family never offers any. Miscommunication occurs and hurt feelings are on both sides. Eventually they reconcile with regular unsolicited calls for babysitting and even a spa package donated for the couple! Wow.

Here's a link to the article, "The Incredible Disappearing Family" and here's a link to the comments.

I like most of the commenters, am jealous! Even in the situation the author describes, it seems as though they have more help than most people do. And they were still struggling. But maybe both are working demanding jobs? Multiple jobs? Who knows, maybe they just have more trouble during the early years and will have few problems with an older child. Everyone has a different situation. Does it make you a bad parent if it takes a while to adjust? The author really got slammed for this article because people felt he was whiny with absolutely no reason for it. Suck it up, they said! Many said they had it harder and managed and didn't expect any help. (my favorite was the woman who cooked a Christmas meal for her husband and in laws the day after giving birth. They let her do that) Some suggested if they found it that hard they shouldn't procreate. Many pointed out that parents have no business expecting help from anyone at any time. And others said you should either hire help or find other parents to exchange babysitting and favors with.
I take issue with this modern ideal of complete self-sufficiency. Although you may be granted a pass if you can afford to pay for help, otherwise, depend on no one, ever. I think it's ridiculous to assume that parenting, one of the weightiest responsibilities people have, should be performed from birth to self sufficiency by only two people. (This attitude rears it's head in discussions about absent grandparents as well.) Do people not realize that it's not only the parents that benefit from having other people involved in raising a family? Children benefit from having more loving individuals in their lives, more varied experiences, and differing values that they are exposed to, and of course they benefit by having less stressed parents. The people helping the family benefit from their relationships with the children and with their grateful parents. And it's nice to feel useful. Society benefits because happy loved and loving children make better citizens. For most of time, in most of the world, people lived with extended family or in communities where everyone helped with child rearing. And even back a few generations ago, although grandparents may not have still lived with their grandchildren, parents still had more support from the community-from their neighbors and churches and organizations. Today we isolate ourselves and say parents must bear that incredible task alone. If you need help you are either weak or inept or have an "entitlement mentality."
I don't think parents should expect people to help in certain ways or at certain times, but a general expectation that relatives who live close Will help in whatever ways they are able, when they are able......I don't think there's anything wrong with that. I believe that's how child rearing was meant to occur, for the benefit of all. People, particularly family, SHOULD help each other. The author mentions that eventually they realize that they were forgetting that the relatives also worked all week long, and their weekends were precious to them also and that others might not be aware they could use some free time....they were wrapped up in a bubble of new parenting and sleep deprivation and they weren't seeing things clearly. They were selfish too. That happens. Doesn't make them bad people. It' just makes me sad that so many people are so quick to judge (and judge so harshly); and condemn parents for wanting what's been normal for most of time. As one commenter said, " I've always found it incredibly sad that modern society in America has stopped expecting its people to really invest in the nurturing and care of a new family."

I also like this comment:
Wow, what a bunch of jackasses. I agree, the writer's tone is a bit over-the-top, and 3 months worth of help is nothing to complain about. But, seriously, what is wrong with you people? Why shouldn't we reasonably expect or hope for certain things from our family, especially when we generally have a good relationship with them? Not because of entitlement per se, but just because family *should* do things for each other. My family does things for me; I do things for them that aren't convenient.

And I'm so sick of the "you chose to have the kid" attitude. Believe it or not, even in this age of chemical birth control, not all couples *choose* to have kids, or, I should say, *plan* their children. Sometimes kids just happen, and some of us happen to believe that kids are a *natural* part of family life, not something that you *get* after you've got your career, house and SUV (or Prius, whatever) all in line. I think that the "you chose it" attitude is a huge part of the hostility on here: "Why should anyone have to clean up anyone else's mess?" It sounds like half the people on here have rotten parents who can't be bothered, and now they've clearly picked up the attitude. *sigh* No wonder why our world sucks. Most of you accuse the author of an entitlement attitude, but your own attitudes scream, "I'm entitled to not have to worry about anyone but myself, EVER!"

You can't always plan out every detail of your life, and often not even the big stuff. People expect that responsible people should plan just the right moment to have children, if they do. And if they have more than one, then you should plan out the spacing of them beforehand as well. Your car and your house and your perfect job should be in place beforehand......one commenter even said since parents have about seven months to prepare beforehand, they should arrange for all help before birth. As though everyone knows exactly what their baby will be like and what they will be like as parents, as though you know what your thresholds will be! That is something you don't find out until afterwards!!!

Just very sad, in my opinion. Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

6 comments:

ADP said...

Well, after I had you, I didn't expect any help. We lived in Youngstown, Ohio at the time and so we were all alone--no family around. Aunt Cindy was the closest and she was about an hour an a half away or maybe 2 hours. But I will never forget Mimi coming out, she and Pop Pop drove all the way out and camped out. And she really helped me, and bought food for us and cooked meals and held you Steph. It was wonderful all the more so because I didn't expect it. And I've since found out that it was a matter of wild horses not being able to keep Mimi away. She had to be there it was that simple. Later on when we moved back home, she and your other grandmother watched you while I worked full time. For free. They were just willing. And here and there they would babysit you and Laura while we went to a movie and to spend some couple time together. And like you already pointed out--it was good bonding time for both the grandparents and you and Laura.

I too can understand grandparents needing their own time because they work and have their own obligations. Life is not the way it was for my own grandmother who didn't work outside the home and so had time to take us for a weeek at a time for my mother. But for me, I know it may not seem like much when you have them constantly, I like to see them and be with them . It's wonderful that my grandchildren live next door to me. I don't know how long that will continue. But I have found that they have enriched my life beyond anything I could ever have imagined. And--I understand Mimi's feeling of not being able to stay away.

Sue said...

Yes, if they have lived next door to me too, I would be over every chance I could muster up.

I really wish I had another bedroom because I would have sleep-overs. My kids really enjoyed sleeping at the Nanny & Pop-pop's house every chance they could. She made goodies for them and played games with them. I really don't know what Pop-pop did with them, but I really think they just wanted to be with Nanny more.

My mother-in-law was such a blessing to me because it was at least once or twice a month the kids would sleep over so we wouldn't have to pay a sitter. That is what's nice about grandparents.

She was my helper, not my mom at all.

Steph, I hope you know if you ever need any help and your family can't for other reasons, please call me. If I can I will. I know it seems I'm very busy between church, shuffleboard league, and Chuck's playing, but my grandkids are very important to me and I would love to spend quality time with them.

I could always get a single blowup mattress and I could have one at a time. They can bunk in with Uncle Billy. I have all kinds of toys and things to occupy them.

Think about it and let me know. I would love it and I think Pop-pop would too.

sajmom said...

First I want to be clear that this wasn't posted as a way to complain. But it is a topic I've considered and I thought it was just sad how many people think it's a badge of honor to do it all alone, regardless of the consequences. The idea that family SHOULD help family, as far as I'm concerned, applies not only to parenting but to any way that a person might need help.

sajmom said...

I personally wouldn't have wanted live in help. I wanted a period to just adjust and learn how to be the new family that you are with each addition. I've heard it called a babymoon (instead of a honeymoon). For me the first year is the easiest time of parenting. I feel completely confident with a baby. Although during the initial adjustment period, where your body is weary from birth and you're also recovering from the pregnancy itelf.....and the baby's eating about every two hours......it would be nice to have help with meals or cleaning. No one does that stuff though.
And Sue, I know you are very busy. You are always involved with something! At this point the only one who'd be ok with a sleepover is Leanna. My kids are just a lot shyer and not used to being away a lot. And having my mother next door isn't quite the way most people imagine it. They seem to think that means free babysitting all the time!! She will watch the boys while Leanna and I go to a weekly appointment or sometimes she or Laura (or even occaionally my Dad!!) will watch them for about 20 minutes so I can run to the bank. And she has come through on special occasions, like letting me take Timothy to his doctor's appointment alone for a change. Or picking us up when we got on the wrong bus to get to Jacob's Allergy appointment. Not that I'm complaining, just saying it's not like we're going out all the time the way people think.

Sue said...

I never knew people thought you went out all the time. When you have a large family or just a family in general, who has time to go out and drag the little ones in tow. I didn't go out much when my kids were little either. If it wasn't for Chuck's mom I wouldn't have gotten out as much as I did. She didn't take me out when my kids were real little because we only had one car seat for Billy and I held Tommy. See back in the 70's, they didn't have infant carriers, only toddler car seats and there wasn't much to them either. The one I had was black with either leather material or vinyl made material and the only protection it gave was the arm that lift up so you could get the child in it. I'm sure your parents remember that kind of car seat. The laws were so different back then. Now you need a car seat for every child, which I think is too strict for me it they are too big for one, or if you have a car that a lot won't fit in.

I did a lot of walking when my kids were little because I didn't get my license until I was 23, at that age my kids were 7 & 6 years of age. I would put them in a large stroller sitting side by side and I would them over to Phillipsburg, NJ to Chuck's work, at his parent's paint, flooring, and window store, on South Main Street. I did that maybe once a month or so, just to get out of the house and somewhere to go, and for something to do. Chuck would bring us back home when it was time to close up shop.

sajmom said...

No, you misunderstood me. I meant that people think Tom and I are using free babysitting from my Mom all the time to go out. Which is not the case.