Search This Blog

Saturday, November 07, 2009




Justin finally got his first dental checkup this week. We had several false starts with that. The dentist Leanna's been to doesn't see kids until they are four years old (despite all modern parenting magazines recommending kids begin going at age one). He refused to even get in the chair or open his mouth and the dentist was just not willing to work with him at all and was kind of mean. He waited a minute, then said, bring him back when he'll open his mouth. So when I mentioned this at Justin's doctor checkup, they recommended the dental van. I was told they're very good with kids and would probably let him look at all the equipment first and talk to him about what they were going to do first. So I made an appt. to go when they were at Central school and we walked there and got in, and the lady said, well if he's that afraid, maybe he should go to the clinic. They're really really good with kids. But call today, as soon as you get home!! They're very hard to get in, so call RIGHT AWAY! I said, yes ma'am! And went home and called. Well it took two months, but I finally got a call back from the dental clinic to set up an appt. They're very busy, they said usually they're overbooked.
I am so happy, as far as I'm concerned it was worth the wait. This is the first time I can remember really liking medical professionals. They were so nice, and so patient and good with Justin. It was no big deal at all that four people came along into the room with Justin. They brought back some chairs for us! They talked to all of us and showed Justin every tool and told him what they were going to do before doing it. He was so nervous at first that when they put the chair back, he stayed stiffly sitting up in the seat. I had to gently lay him down because he wouldn't do it. After that he was ok though.
He has to come back in January unfortunately and they said they'll use nitrous oxide (spelling?) which is what they used to call laughing gas, to calm him down when they work on him. They didn't want to start anything on the first visit in case he would expect bad stuff to happen every visit then. They were just so friendly. Two people came to gawk at us though, they were amazed to see so many people in the room, and commented that they would never have known that there were so many kids there. The dentist and hygienist both said they were so well behaved and complimented me on my children. It is so nice to hear that!!
Also this week and last at the Phoebe home staff members complimented me on my nice family. Anyway, I wanted to be sure to mention a positive experience with medical professionals, for years now, almost every experience has been bad/horrible/insulting, particularly at that hospital. If I have time I will write them a letter to say so, I believe in letting people know when you recieve superior service. In person I did compliment the dentist and she clutched her chest and said, "Aawww! Thank you!" It made me feel good to make someone else feel good too!



No comments: