Search This Blog

Thursday, November 05, 2009

Bonnets

This picture shows the bonnet Leanna wore for Halloween, worn by me many many years ago. My paternal grandmother believed that every young girl should have a bonnet. I believe this was during the famous Little House on the Prairie show period still, so praire stuff was still quite popular. This is the grandmother I associate Holly Hobby stuff with as well. She bought me a Holly Hobbie doll and things with her on them. I am still fond of Holly Hobbie/praire things for this reason (others too, but this gives them a sentimental pull).
I'm actually not sure what you call this type of picture-it's not a shadow box, it's in a regular picture frame. Anyway, both pictures are with my sister Laura. (Maybe my Mom can offer a date or approximate age for me?)
(I loved that shiny pink jacket!)
EDIT: And that's a strawberry shortcake doll in my hands!!




7 comments:

Sue said...

You look to be around 9 in that picture. See if I am correct on that. What a cute picture!

I too agree with little girls and bonnets. My grandmother always got me a bonnet for Easter and my brother a hat. Grandmothers are so very special in our lives and I'm glad you really got to know yours as a young child into adulthood.

I still to this day miss my grandmother very much, she was a very wise woman. She gave me such good advice through my first years of marriage. I couldn't go to my mom for advice, because my mom was only married 2 1/2 years, and had gotten married for all the wrong reasons.

sajmom said...

Actually I was speaking of my paternal grandmother, she died when I was 12. I agree though, grandmothers are special.

Sue said...

What about Mimi, she is your paternal grandmother too. You had her just a year or so ago.

Who else was your paternal grandmother?

sajmom said...

Mimi was my maternal grandmother.

Paternal= of the father
Maternal= of the Mother

Sue said...

Oh, I didn't know there was a difference. Thank you for clarifying that to me. I always thought they were the same.

I really didn't know my paternal grandmother because I didn't see my father most of my life. I saw her a few times growing up and once when she was in Gracedale many many years ago.

I remembered that she lived in the 600 block of Walnut St. in Easton and the house was pink and you had to go up a lot of steps to get there. Other than that, that's all I remember.

ADP said...

Steph, I'm not totally sure of the exact age you were but looking at Laura and the fact that you had that pink jacket on, you were 5 or 6. Mimi got you that jacket, I'm not sure if she just bought it for you or if it was a present but it sure was a "cool" jacket. And you looked so cute in it all the time.

Laura said...

Looking at that picture I have only one thought- it is clear why men are intimidated by us. We had amazing style back in the day!