Search This Blog

Sunday, November 29, 2009

Still more Thanksgiving preparations

Filling patties, frying
Tom making his filling patties. He craves the taste of the filling patties in his memory. Every year we try, but just can't seem to get it exactly right.

Pumpkin gingerbread, I included this picture because you can see the little Jacob hand reaching for it, which I could barely keep off the bread! He kept asking for "kini bread" meaning Zucchini bread because that's what he thought it was.


This is Timothy's creation, it's what he made while I made the cranberry bread. It consists of cranberries, eggshells, and water.




4 comments:

Sue said...

I know the feeling of the filling patties. I really wish my Nana taught me how to make them before she passed away. She just had that magic touch with them. After she died, nobody made them like her, not even my mom or my Papa or my mother-in-law. She even tried to make them for Tommy when we went to her house for our second dinner of the day, but they weren't quite as good. I believe my Nana's secret was the mashed potatoes that she added to her stuffing, it was the Pennsylvania Dutch way of making it. Even though she was Welsh, but my Papa was the Dutchman. She always did things to please her man.

That is what I truly miss, since her passing.

Jamie said...

john and i have tried to make something similar and failed miserably! sue i remember you making them in the basement of your mom's house in palmer. they were good and i LOVED LOVED LOVED her old fashioned oven!

Sue said...

Yup, I did too! That was my Nana's oven before it was my mom's and it cooked awesome. They sure don't make ovens or stoves like them anymore, with those push buttons instead of knobs.

Wow, Jamie you've been with our family for a long time now, it's hard to believe how the time goes by so quickly.

sajmom said...

That's funny, I was just saying to Tom that it must be PA Dutch food, so maybe we should try to find someone of that herritage to get a recipie from. Yeah, he said Nan Lear couldn't make them right, though they weren't bad. He always buys premade stuffing packages, maybe they don't make stuffing the same? Who knows. It's very hard to compete with a memory!