Search This Blog

Saturday, November 15, 2008

Vocabulary

Since that last doctor's visit I've been purposely trying to notice what words Jacob says. Put on the spot like that I really had to try to think.....and then the guy looks at me like I'm making it up. I'm guessing that most parents haven't really thought about how many words their children actually say. Jacob won't say them on cue yet, and sometimes he will say them when the occasion calls for it and not other times. But the fact that he can use them appropriately more than once shows he understands the words he speaks. The parental guide they give you at the doctors says he should be able to say 3-6 words. There's a wide range of normal and of course there are the kids who don't talk at all and suddenly spout off every word in the dictionary. I get that. But 3-6 words is the normal range for his age???? I seriously doubt that.



Words I can remember that I've heard him say: mama, mommy, Dadda, Justin, nanna (for Leanna), Grammy, shoe, sock, hat, light, ball, bye, Thank you, I want that!, uh-oh!, nose, no!, boo!, up, ow!, hungry, stop-that's 22 just off the top of my head. I know there's more that I can't think of.

3 comments:

Laura said...

He's been able to say my name since he was I don't know how many months old.

sajmom said...

That's right! Add lollipop to the list, Timothy had one and Jacob was whining "Lollipop!!!" and trying to grab it.

Sue said...

Every child is different, so I don't know why doctors have to put an age on when they are supposed to do things, and compare each child to the norm. Who says that one child isn't normal if he doesn't talk or walk before he is a certain age. Yes, if you see other things that he is late on, then maybe, I would get worried, but not until then.

For example; Billy walked later than Tom and that was because he had to have his one leg in a cast because it was turned in. When he was able to walk, I believe he was scared of falling, so he crawled everywhere he wanted to go, because he was way too young to know about the cast. He was two weeks old when that was placed on his leg and he had to have that on for four weeks and another one on for two weeks. But Billy talked as early as Tom, but couldn't make sentences at age four, so then the doctor got worried and Billy was tested. Yes, he was slow and behind other children his age, but once he got the help he needed he was right where he should be for his age.

Another example; when Nanny Lear was little she had to have braces on her legs. She never walked until the age of three and the doctors told my grandparents she may never walk. She proved them wrong.

I don't believe in those charts they compare our children to and I wish the doctors would stop comparing us. Kids will do things in their own time and not before they feel they are ready.