Search This Blog

Monday, November 24, 2008

Parent teacher conference & report card

I don't want to get into the habbit of giving very detailed report card reviews here because that could get embarrassing for them in the future if one child doesn't do as well as the others, or if someone has a bad rating period, etc......but I am still proud and want to talk about my child. So I decided I'll just give an overview.
Leanna's teacher was pleased overall. She's just moved up again to the 12th level in reading. She's doing fantastic in reading and the teacher says she's a good writer. She's doing well in social studies and science. Her behavior's fine. But she didn't do as well in math as she should have, the teacher was puzzled as to why Leanna did not do well on the math test. As was I. She appeared to know the material at home. She said the only reason she could think of was that Leanna wasn't paying attention? So she got marked progressing below grade level on two of the nine categories in math. The only other two was in the category of grammer, spelling, and punctuation(those three are all one category). Her handwritting and spelling leave something to be desired.......we decided that if Leanna does her homework sloppy I will include a note that day asking for another copy of that homework and she will send it home. So she will have two papers to do the next day. The teacher also suggested having Leanna do it during recess, but I said no, I'd prefer she have recess. She needs a break. And the teacher gave me an extra math book to let Leanna practice with at home.
At my suggestion we discussed the social aspects of school. The teacher wasn't aware of any real problems there but thought if Leanna was having any problems, it might be because she's been making faces at other kids. Yeah, you can't make this stuff up. Kids have a way of finding things you never thought of to put you through. But I'm confident we'll work thruogh it, I talked more in depth with the poor teacher about it (I was prohably her longest conference), and when I got home Leanna and I made a plan up for how to do better in her problem areas. Though I'm focusing on the areas where she needs work, Leanna is doing very well overall and I'm very proud of my daughter!

4 comments:

Sue said...

I was also good in reading, science, and social studies, but was terrible in math. My teacher in school and my GED classes told me usually you have a weakness in math if you are excelling in reading. Now, Billy was excelling in math, where reading and the other subjects were his weakest. I don't remember Tommy in school too much, because I really didn't think he had a hard time with learning, where Billy did.

I never did good on tests because I always got so nervous. I remember having a typing test in High School and I froze. So my teacher made me take it over by myself and I did much better. When I was going for my GED test I got so nervous I couldn't concentrate, it was awful. It took me so long to take the practice tests, just so, I can do the regular test at Easton High School. I surprised myself as I did exceedingly well on the test and passed it the first time I took it.

So, I hope Leanna takes after you and not me with taking test and learning.

Jamie said...

i've always heard that too (about being better/good at one and not the other)...my dad is a good example of that too (bad speller)

on a different note, there was a person from Nazareth nosing around on this blog that wasn't me!! =)

Michele said...

Wonder if it was my mother?!?!!

sajmom said...

Is your mother Mrs. Foster?