Search This Blog

Saturday, November 01, 2008

Timmy the Puppy
















Timothy wanted to be a puppy, and his costume earned the most comments from people. He's just so cute and it seemed an appropriate costume for him. He barked on command for people too. One family even stopped and took a picture of Timothy with their child. Come to think of it, a lady took a picture of him last year as Winnie the Pooh also.
It turned out to be a much easier costume than I thought. He wore dark pants, dark gloves, and I colored his eye in with eyeliner. The main part is a sweatshirt which I turned backwards. I put elastic in the hood in the back to hold it close enough to his head and made ears out of felt, then sewed them to the hood. I cut the spots out of felt and sewed them to the sweatshirt. I sewed a tail and then cut an opening in the back of the sweatshirt for the tail to poke through (I couldn't just attach the tail to the sweatshirt because of the zipper, so I attached it to a piece of elastic that he wore around his waist. When he walked the tail looked like it was coming out the middle of his back like it should.

5 comments:

Jamie said...

so adorable! where was the first pic taken? the background is neat...

sajmom said...

Outside someone's backyard-they had the whole place strung up with lights. It looked beautiful, but I couldn't really capture it(because of the dark and the flash and all that).

Sue said...

Timothy sure makes a cute looking puppy with those cute eyes and smile of his. What a cutie pie.

Sue said...

OK Steph, I don't want to sound dumb here, but did you cut the back of the hoodie to make it the front part of the costume for the doggie. I saw where it was worn backwards, but it is hard to see how you did it.

sajmom said...

Yes, it's backwards, mainly so the zipper wouldn't show in the front. At first I was going to just cut holes out for the eyes, nose, and mouth, but it just didn't look right to me. So I made the hole big enough to show his face. Since it didn't have a drawstring I put elastic around the hood in the back (the original front). It's a little hard to explain too!