Search This Blog

Monday, November 17, 2008

Straight No Chaser

I'm so glad I got a paper on Sunday. They had an article on this accapella college group from 1998. Two members are from the Lehigh Valley-Jerome Collins and Walter Chase. I was in choir with Jerome Collins in High School, and I also knew him from my middle school girl choir days. He was in the Singing Boys of Pennsylvania (I was in the sister group, Keystone Girls Choir), and my cousin Michael (some of you know him from when he sang at my wedding) sang with him in the Singing Boys too.
Apparently one of the members of the group put a video on you-tube of "the 12 days of Christmas" intermixed with Toto's "Africa." Just for the members' own enjoyment. And a year later it went viral-7 million views for December 2007 alone. Record execs made a deal with them and they now have a new Christmas album out. They did this a decade ago and all the sudden this opportunity comes up based on it. Some weren't even in the music industry anymore. Amazing.
Tom particularly liked the sitcom and teen sensation medly. I love it all-the human voice is a wonderful instrument. Those of you who know Jerome-check out This is How We Do It-he sings that one.

No comments: