Search This Blog

Monday, February 20, 2006

Cooking

I have a confession to make. I've started to take advantage of Maree's obsession with food. I let her make breakfast yesterday morning for her, Tom, and Leanna. She said her Mom lets her make eggs, so I let her make eggs and I told her how to make bacon. Leanna said she wanted the kind of eggs that come with toast. (She meant scrambled eggs on top of toast) She likes to cook, and personally I hate the smell of eggs cooking! So it seemed like a good idea. She had fun and Tom didn't have to wait for me to finish feeding the baby before making his food, or even have to (the horror!) hold the baby while I made it. Everyone seemed happy with the results.

I let her make pork chops the last time she was over. I stood right by her and talked her through it(even let her add too much egg because she thought it needed more, so she'd learn for next time). It's a little thing, not very complicated, but she bragged that she'd made dinner! And it was well worth it cause Tom even came and sat at the table with us-and he never does that! (You'd think with the 50 million commercials about the importance of the family table on the TVland channel that he watches all the time-he'd do it at least semi-regularly!) I know Korinna lets her do some stuff and knows that Maree loves to pretend to cook and watches the food channel-but I still worry that Korinna might get upset that I have her making food. You never know what might set her off, you know? Sometimes it's not so easy to be in charge of a child not your own.

3 comments:

Jess/Blushed said...

I think its great that she loves to cook. Who knows, maybe she'll be a famous chef or host her own show on the Food Network someday. Granted, I dont really know Korinna, but I dont think she should have any issues about Maree cooking at your house. Especially since she lets her do it at her own house.
Heh, the TVLand comment made me smile. That is one of my late night rituals before I go to bed. Watching old shows on TVLand.

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't worry about what Korinna says, she has no control of what she does when Maree is with Tom and you. I think it is good for her to try these new things, it takes away from the same old boring fighting between the kids. He He!
Did she say if she likes her Easy Bake Oven she got for Christmas. Do you know if it works good,and if she was able to use it to make her cookies and cakes? I haven't heard from Maree about it so that is why I was wondering.

sajmom said...

I don't know if she used it yet, she hasn't mentioned the Easy Bake Oven. She mainly talks about boys, friends, and school.