Search This Blog

Saturday, January 28, 2006

Spirited kids

Right now I'm reading Raising your spirited child: a guide for parents whose child is more intense, sensitive, perceptive, persistent, energetic. I'd seen it when I worked at the book store, and initially it made me think of Leanna. She's so full of energy-many family members have suggested ADD/hyperactivity. But I really don't feel that is her problem. While she has a lot of energy, I don't really think drugs are the solution for her. Plus I did a tiny bit of research, just enough to check if I should be worried, and apparently if you are hyperactive you also have ADD (attention deficit disorder). That doesn't fit Leanna, as she is able to concentrate on activities, by herself or with me. She has so much energy, it's very hard to rein in!
I tend to be suspicious of any book that offers to cure all discipline problems. At this point I'm at chapter 6, but I think even if this book doesn't help in the way I had hoped, it will be worth it because I'm learning other things from it. About myself as well as the kids. Yeah, plural, kidS. Justin fits the discriptions in different ways also. Oh no, not me, I couldn't just have normal, mild kids!
A lot of it is just about looking at things differently. Calling the kid spirited instead of difficult. Realizing that those same qualities that can be so frustrating can also be used in good ways-ultimately to help them suceed in life. And the idea that you are looking for progress, not perfection. That's a lesson I need. In some areas I am a perfectionist, and when things don't go the way I think they should, I get really depressed. (this is a quality I have noticed in both my sister Claire, and my daughter). I'm really hoping this book will turn out to have some solutions for me.
So anyway, my kids definitely fit the description of "spirited kids." To paraphrase: spirited kids are MORE! More intense, persistent, sensitive, perceptive, and uncomfortable with change than other children. All children possess these characteristics, but spirited kids possess them with a depth and range not available to other children. Spirited kids are the super ball in a room full of rubber balls. The good days couldn't be better.....the dreadful days are another story."
Characteristics:
1.Intensity
2.Persistence
3.sensitivity
4.Perceptiveness
5.adaptability(low)
6.Regularity
7.Energy
8.first reaction-quick withdrawl from anything new
9.Mood

Leanna can be very intense, she is extremely persistant, she's starting to display signs of sensitivity (everything is too tight! Her shoes are too tight, even though I can fit both my hands in alongside her feet, they are too tight!)I'm not sure about perceptiveness yet, adaptability isn't too bad, she is very irregular,her energy is-well, you know. For first reaction she is a mix-sometimes she will jump right in, other times she gets very shy.
Justin is always very very very intense, he is extremely persistant, not sure about sensitivity or persistance yet, adaptability to change is somewhat slow(depends on the situation), he is very regular, he is very energetic(not in the same way as his sister though)he needs a bit of time to warm up in new situations(though he's getting better with that) and his mood goes to both extremes.

2 comments:

Jamie said...

i know you enjoy reading about new things and learning about other "possibilities." i just want to share this with you and "throw it out there" but i'm sure your book would touch on this as well...

jonathan's peanut allergy has opened my eyes to a whole new world of FOOD BEING THE ENEMY!

food affects EVERY ounce of us, from our mood to our complexions...trust me...i have witnessed my son have full blown chest congestion 24 hours after drinking a 4 oz. glass of cow's milk (after strict avoidence for a week)! so in my experience, ANYTHING is possible!

but it all kind of started when i read this article...http://www.nowheat.com/grfx/nomilk/ about a child who did a 360 in her personality when she had milk products! also, i have read about people following a diet plan to avoid medicating for adhd (i came across it during a search to see how to avoid ear infections)... http://www.feingold.org/ i personally think it is an embarassment to the medical community when a doctor gives a child medication for "hyperactivity" without considering other possibilities as a cause!

so anyways, i think you are doing a wonderful thing by being active in trying to figure out your children b/c that is the first step to discovering what make them tick or not tick! i wonder too how much of it has to do with just going through different stages in life (and of course at different times in each child).

jonathan just spent the last 2 hours clinging to me b/c my friend came over...he wouldnt even look at her and got funny when he accidentally touch her...a far cry from the child we know at sue house, huh?

anyways, good luck and keep sharing b/c i too like to learn about new things!

sajmom said...

Actually I don't think this book discusses food at all. I've only seen one article on that subject(from Mothering magazine)and mainly what I remember from it is that it talked about the dyes in foods causing agressiveness and such in kids. So you could enlighten me a bit more on what you know on the subject.....
PS. You and my Mom should get together and talk about food!