Search This Blog

Friday, January 13, 2006

Instead of commenting on the last post's comment spot I thought I'd add a new entry just to make sure everyone saw it. The last post was not aimed at anyone. Honest. It was not at all meant as a dig at anyone! I heard comments about Justin from all over the place-even from people who didn't know us. If you had any idea how many people said to me, oh, he'll just cry for a few minutes after you leave and then be fine! (We tried this, do you have any idea how hard it is to cry for two hours straight? Justin does.)
I was reflecting on the situation because I had just realized that Timothy appears to have a more "normal" personality. Which is an enourmous relief for me. And as this blog is meant as both a record for my children and as a catharsis for me-that post served both purposes. I mentioned daycare and staying at home(versus working) not because I am putting down these choices but because they were used as possible reasons for Justin's behavior. I've been a working(outside the home) mom and a stay-at-home mom. Both have benefits and disavantages, like any aspect of parenting. Same goes for daycare. To be honest, I generally don't believe in daycare. I don't really think that very young children are meant to be separated from their parents for long periods of time on a regular basis. Also, it is very hard to entrust your most precious possession(S) to strangers. I've known several people who have worked for daycares and what they told be only confirmed my fears about daycare. That said, there are some people who truly can't afford to be with their children-whether for reasons financial or for their sanity. And that doesn't mean there aren't exceptions with daycares. Jaime seems to have found one. Jonathan is flourishing. I thought about trying to work at a daycare, so I know there must be other individuals who just genuinely love kids and want to work with them.
Different choices work better for different people. I've been judged enough for things I've done so I try very hard not to do that to others.
Justin was such a hard baby, and then when I took him out I was aware that I was hurting people's feelings because of his refusal to allow anyone to hold him. Then to top it off my mothering skills would be called into question. And I knew that sometimes the things people said were suggested out of loving concern. Other times(whether I was wrong or not) they seemed more like accusations. And pretty much every choice I had made as a parent came under fire as a reason for Justin's behavior. My own mother questioned me, and she's always been one of my biggest supporters. That's hard to deal with. Most of the time I felt that my instincts were right-that it was just his personality and something he would grow out of at his own hardwired schedule. But as a mother there are days when you question yourself as well. Criticism was particularly hard to take then. So if I sounded bitter, maybe this helps to explain why. I truly was only posting out of relief-any comments anyone made have been forgiven.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

sajmom wrote, "To be honest, I generally don't believe in daycare...."
After looking at this anti-daycare website, I can see why!

Jamie said...

thanks. i WON'T be checking out that site. Some of us don't have a choice.

Anonymous said...

I like to comment on daycares. My mom was a single mother and she had to work, so my brother was put in a caretaker's arms, her name was Aunt Evie. I remember her so vividly, as the most generous woman in the world. She had MS, and she had a lot of little children she watched. When I was sick and couldn't go to school, my mom, couldn't take a day off of work, like today's mothers can, because you can take a sick day yourself to make up the time lost for not working. Back in the early 60's, there was no such thing, as vacation days, sick days, personal days, where my mom worked. She worked in a factory, that expected you to be there everyday to work your job. So, my mom would take me to Aunt Evie's house and she would take care of me while my mom worked. Aunt Evie was the only person there to care for these kids, and she had a lot of kids to care for by herself. Plus she was crippled too. So, when I was feeling better, I would help her with the kids, because I was the oldest child there. She had 4 cribs in the bedroom with pictures of nursery rhymes on the wall. She had all kinds of toys and things to play with and ride on. I loved being at her house that I would pretend I was sick, just so I could go with my brother to Aunt Evie's,(I don't think my brother remembers her, but I do). I learned a lot from Aunt Evie, through her generosity, loving, and caring ways. I never wanted to leave to go home, that's how much I like being there.

I don't know if she was married, but she couldn't have kids I think, so that is why she would care for kids in her home, plus to make money babysitting. That's how daycares began. The laws have changed over the years, so that is why there are so many daycares, because 1 person is allowed to watch a certain amount of kids at a time. If you have 6 kids to watch at a time, then you have to have help. You are only, don't quote me, I think, allowed to have 4 kids to 1 adult. Plus I just found out from my sister-in-law that daycare workers have to be certified. Jan couldn't be alone with a child because she wasn't certified, so she always had to have a person qualified to be with her. She also told me that they wore gloves when changing kids and sprayed the changing mat with Cloroax Cleaner to disinfect the mat from germs. That is required by law. If not the daycare facility would be fined.

But I feel that a child will go through seperation anxiety, whether they go to daycare or not, because my sons both went through that and they didn't go to daycare or preschool. I just didn't have the money for it, but I wish I had. Billy had to go to a preschool for handicapped kids and it was the best thing that ever happened to him as he was growing up. You can ask him, to this day and he remembers the school and all his friends that were handicapped, that he grew very fond of. It is the same, when a child goes to a regular daycare or to a person's house that watches kids, they becaome very attached to their friends, as if they were going to school. Billy cried his eyes out for like a month as I would put him on that bus and he wouldn't see me, but he got over it, as the other kids would talk to him and occupy his attention away from being seperated from his mother.

All kids go through some kind of seperation anxiety from their mothe, more than the father, because the father already works outside the home and sees the child a certain amount of time in a day. That's why some kids have blankets to hold, teddy bears to cuddle or binkies to suck on, to help them comfort them through the anxiety of being seperated from the mother.

So I had it both ways; a child that had to go to a daycare or preschool, because he had certain handicaps to overcome and a child that was a stay at home child with me. When Tom went to kindergarten, he went through the same anxiety that his brother went through from being seperated from me. That was one of the reason's why Tom had to repeat Kindergarten, becuase he couldn't sit still to learn, because he was upset from being away from me and other reasons too; like being over-active too. But if I could have sent him to preschool at that time in his life, I would have, because I think it helps kids more being seperated from their parents, or should say more, their mother.

So, yes there are ups and downs versuses daycares, but all in all, I think they are good for the child and parent. The parent also goes through seperation anxiety from the child too, just as the child goes through it. As you look back as the child has grown up, you see this and can identify with them.