Search This Blog

Sunday, February 08, 2009

illegal drying

Line drying one's clothes is not allowed in many communities for fear of lowering home values. One of my cousins told me that she was given a warning in a previous home community they lived in. She hung towels out since they're thicker and take longer to dry. Someone came to her house to talk to her about it.
That seems like such a rediculous thing to worry about. Hanging laundry reduces home values? As they mention at the end, we live in the land of the free but can't do something as simple as drying our own clothes in our own yards??

1 comment:

Sue said...

That will be the day when someone comes to my door and tells me I can't hang my wash out to dry. I think that community needs to look at the cost of drying your clothes in dryers. People all over the country are tightening their belts on spending foolishly. I dry Chuck's clothes and my jeans in the dryer, but I hang all my tops to dry for them to not shrink.

I don't think it looks sloppy to see someone's laundry on the clothesline. To me it looks so homey. It also brings back my childhood days, when dryers were never used at all. My Nana never used the dryer when spring and summer came, only in rainy and winter did she use the dryer. I think more people should live in those times and see what they really are missing. The beautiful smell of the air through your clothes. They smell so clean after you take them down.