Search This Blog

Saturday, February 21, 2009

Dishwashers

A post suggesting that dishwashing by hand could be a way to improve family or spousal relationships.

I HATE doing dishes. I told my Dad as a teenager that I would have a dishwasher when I got my own place. He laughed and said we'll see. Yes my first apartment had a dishwasher,, and my second! Then I had a portable one with Tom, and now finally my own regular one!
I say, have the dishwasher-you can always do them by hand anyway. I know at my house we have so much plastic (which is supposed to be in the top-smaller-rack only) that there's always plastic sitting out to be washed. And I have a few items that can't be done in the dishwasher. But it is something to consider for the kids. I"d probably have them do some of them and use the dishwasher for the rest. I like reading the comments too. Someone points out that a lot of fights occur while washing dishes too! But then that can be part of the bonding process too.

3 comments:

ADP said...

Very interesting post Steph, and I also enjoyed reading the comments on her blog. I remember well you and Laura bonding over throwing water at each other as you washed the dishes. haha. I also remember being in the back yard pulling weeds while you too were at it again and being really embarrassed at the noise & yelling going on in the kitchen. I was positive that every single house could hear you two arguing. Of course it might have helped if I was in the kitchen helping but you know, I had to do the dishes too as a kid and it was mighty nice to hand it off to someone else. And I'm still glad I had those years of dishwashing relief because now again I have to wash the dishes. And it's really nice when it's not my week to do dishes.

Michele said...

I love to wash dishes (yes, I know, call me crazy...LOL!!), I probably only run the dishwasher 1-2 times per week. The remainder of the time, I just wash up the few dishes in the sink. I think part of the reason I don't use the DW much is that I really don't like emptying it!!

And I really dislike having dirty dishes in the sink. When we are at big family gatherings I just want to get up immediately after the meal and start washing dishes...most of the time my sisters-in-law won't let me!

sajmom said...

Michelle, you may come visit me anytime you'd like, LOL! I always have a sink full of dishes to be done!