Search This Blog

Friday, February 27, 2009

Grease


A week or two ago Grease was on tv and the kids were just fascinated. Maybe when we can rent movies again I should try some musicals. I told Leanna that this is the original High School Musical but she wasn't quite understanding (Actually I wouldn't have let her watch high school musical, but Maree' watched it with her one morning while we were still sleeping. The damage was done. It's hugely popular in the elementary school too.)

It's funny, watching Grease now as a parent, I realized there's a lot of content in it that isn't so kid friendly. They were really enjoying the singing and dancing though, (and really, so was I), so I tried to compensate. When the nerd passes by the cool boys and they push him and whatever else they did, I took care to point out how that was really not very nice. I just tried to watch out for moments like that to use to teach a lesson or at least so they wouldn't just absorb that stuff thinking it was normal or ok. They were playing, so they weren't actually watching the whole thing. Plus I use distraction for other parts. Justin and Leanna really like to sing a lot, it really amuses me to hear Justin singing along with Summer Nights. He's just really cute. We added some Grease songs to our playlist.

4 comments:

Jamie said...

does your library have movies? that's what we usually do instead of renting.

sajmom said...

Ahhh,I owe them $ right now too. I periodically stop useing the library because I alwasy end up returning books late. I just get frustrated with it and stop going. This last year I decided the heck with it, I'll just look at it this way, it's a form of charity. I'm just donating money to the library! But right now I don't have the money to pay(you have to pay at least half of what you owe to be able to check out books again.) A good suggestion though.

Jamie said...

LOL I owe them money too and am soooooo mad b/c I can't go on the insainly long waiting list for the book twilight until i pay up! =)

ADP said...

Sooooooooooooo.....maybe NOW you can understand dirty dancing (;)