Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Question for blog readers

Does anyone have an extra iron they don't use anymore? I keep mine up on a high closet shelf but the other week Justin managed to knock it to the floor and it cracked down the center back. I don't use them often (and I actually like ironing) but I do need one.
(VERY IMPORTANT: nobody needs to go buy one, I just figured I'd see if anyone had an old one lying around that they don't use before I go buy one)

Also: I'm researching kids' cameras. Leanna has lately begun to show a lot of interest in taking pictures. I don't want her using our camera but I'd like to encourage this interest. She did get a little one for Christmas (I think from Avon?) and it's cute, but so far we've not even been able to see what kind of pictures it takes-you have to unload the pictures because there's no monitor and if the batteries run out before you unload the pictures-you lose all the pictures. If you take the batteries out or you accidentally open the battery compartment (Like when it drops) than you lose all the pictures. We've never been able to unload the pictures without one of the above mentioned things happening.
I know of the Fisher Price Kid Tough camera, but the reviews I've read say it takes very poor quality pictures. It's also kind of expensive. The chief benefit is that it can take a licking-which is important to me, but I'd like half decent quality pictures. I've seen a few other kid cameras, but most have the same battery problems as the one she has and take terrible pictures.
I thought about buying a cheap adult camera, but she still drops and misplaces things fairly often. It has to be able to take being dropped occasionally and still work. Anyone with kids or grandkids or who is occasionally around kids heard of anything???

4 comments:

Jamie said...

i think any camera besides the expensive fisher price one is going to have issues with being dropped. although, i must say that our cannon has taken a beating and is still in decent shape. why not just a disposable one? i guess you'd have to develop it but imo that old fashioned way is kinda fun...seeing the pictures is a treat because you can't ever remember what you took or how they came out! it's pretty cheap these days to develop pictures. anyway, i guess if there is an issue with possibly damaging a camera it's not a good idea to invest any more than like 5 bucks into the camera...you could always set up an ebay watch for the fisher price one...

Jamie said...

OH and why not tape the battery compartment on the avon one...that way maybe they won't fall out!

sajmom said...

The fisher price one is the toughest of the bunch, but they do make a lot of kid cameras that are supposedly a bit harder to break. At her age I'd rather not do disposable cameras only because I'd rather not pay to print out a picture of the floor, someone's nose, and 20 identical shots of her grandmother's dog(-cute as he may be!) I might not mind keeping them on a computer or disk, as a record of her artistic development, but I don't want to print them! I don't know, lately Ebay seems rather overpriced, maybe it's just the particular auctions I've looked at. I might just have to go with the fisher price one, just to give her something to practice with. Oh, another huge drawback is that most of the kid cameras do not work in any kind of low lighting-which means you're almost limmieted to outdoor shots.

sajmom said...

Good idea for the tape though. Then we just have to unload the pics before the battery gets too low.