Search This Blog

Sunday, March 04, 2007

WIC

I am partially signed up for WIC (this time they refused to let me sign up with last year's tax papers, I have to come back when we get our taxes done) and they check your weight, height and iron levels. I think it's funny how so many people ask me if Justin and Timothy are twins- Justin is clearly bigger and they don't look much alike. Now I have an actual comparison since they were both checked on the same day. Usually their doctor appts. are a month or more apart. Justin is 27 1/4 pounds, Timothy is 20 1/2 (he finally hit that 20 pound mark!) Justin is 36 inches tall, Timothy is 30 3/4. They are 16 months apart.
I don't understand the iron levels though. Doesn't your iron level mainly come from vegetables and meat? We are all doing very well in that department-I have a level of 12.6, Justin's is 12.9 and Timothy's is 11.3. Justin and Timothy eat little to no meat and neither is very big on vegetables. Makes me wonder how they have such high iron levels then? That is a good thing though, I'm not complaining!

4 comments:

Jamie said...

they get it from your milk (and baby cereal), from what i understand. jonathan's is low. and i basically live on fruit and carbs :-)

Jamie said...

hmmm. i don't think that made sense. what i'm saying is, that of course at their age when they are mainly eating reg. food, they get it from meat and green veggies, but the iron stores they have now are a direct result of your milk and then from baby cereal. what they eat now maintains their levels.

sajmom said...

Actually my reading suggests that baby cereal fortified with iron(Rice cereal, Baby Oatmeal,etc.) is a crock. The iron it contains is extremely poorly absorbed by the body. It doesn't give the baby much else nutritionally.
Doctors and most websites say that babies iron stores from the Mom are only enough to last the first 6 months-that's why they enourage the fortifed stuff. My kids were never big on the baby cereals (Timothy and Justin liked Oatmeal)so it wasn't a big deal. Maybe the iron they get from my milk is just used better by the body and keeps their levels high? I don't know.

ADP said...

Maybe you have a lot of iron from all that cereal you eat Steph.