Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Rabbits, anyone?

So last night Tom tells me that he thought he saw something moving in the bottom of the rabbit's cage and when he went to check it out he found a baby rabbit.......and then at least four more in the hay in the top of the cage. I had thought I'd seen that before too, but never thought anything of it, there are some containers that roll around the bottom of the cage. We didn't want to poke around too much, but it looks like there are five babies. We're guessing they're about a week old. I was worried about the one on the bottom, thinking maybe it was rejected. But it is strong enough to be hopping around the bottom of the cage and we put it back in the closed off section with it's siblings, only to find it back on the bottom of the cage. I had to do some quick research on the net to make sure it was ok to touch the babies (which we were thrilled to find out that it was ok, as long as the mother didn't try to attack us when we approached them and as long as we didn't have any strong scents on our hands). I found out that Brownie is the mother, which was surprising because it's Monkey Fantastic who was acting more maternal.

The rabbits can't be separated until they're about 6-8 weeks old, once they've weaned. We've had two offers to take one. Tom and I are getting attached to the little black one though, because that's the one we're holding. Some are tan, I'm not sure if there are more black ones, I was too sick during the day to go out and check on them. At night it's too dark out there to see the ones in the hay. Does anyone want a baby rabbit, or know someone who might?

2 comments:

Sue said...

Yes, my girlfriend Linda has a son Nathan that has some baby rabbits in Raubsville. He also has sheep and a ram that are expecting too. He is only 16 yr old and wants to have a farm when he gets older.

If Tom can build me a cage I'll take the black one.

sajmom said...

I don't think we have enough black rabbits to go around. Jerry asked for one first, then one other guy Tom knows asked for another. As I said I'm not positive exactly how many of each color there is, but I think there might only be one black one.