Search This Blog

Friday, March 16, 2007

Benefits of Pre-Kindergarten

Yes, more links, I'm catching up on my reading today. We were outside briefly-to shovel snow in the front and to play in the back. But it was just too cold for Timothy he just stood there and cried, although he liked watching the rabbits for a few minutes.....Justin really enjoyed it this time.

It seems (from what I hear and read) that people are beginning to believe that pre-school/daycare are essential to a child's development and education. And I don't mean only parents pushing to educate children earlier, they think that children MUST learn to socialize as early as possible. I am apparently in the minority-I think children are meant to first learn to socialize with their families-both kids and adults-then expand as ready. Some kids love interracting with other, and other kids benefit from waiting until they are older. I was a shy kid myself and people who try to force you out of your shell generally do more harm than good. Often it made me retreat even farther. Anyway, apparently there is even a push to make pre-school mandatory. Don't get me wrong-preschool/daycare can be a great thing for some kids. But not all, and I definitely don't think it should be mandatory.
(I'm commentor # 14 on the link)

No comments: