Search This Blog

Sunday, March 04, 2007

Good Kids Bad Habits: Book Review


I want this book!! If anyone plans on getting me an Easter or Mothers's Day or ST. Patrick's day or Friday present, this would be good!
Here's the review:
The title of the book alone was enough to get my interest. But as I dug in, I began to become one of those parents who realized that this book was written for me. For my children.
Listen to the facts that should scare you when it comes to your children.
Kids today have developed so m any bad health habits that they're facing heart attacks in the 30's. 30's!!
Experts predict this will be the first generation of children to have a lower life expectancy than their parents!
Our kids our developing ADULT diseases as children:
Kids with High Blood Pressure
Kids with Clogged Arteries
Kids who can't breathe
Kids with Sydrome X (a cluster of conditions from high blood pressure to high triglycerides and insulin resistance)
Kids with weak bones
Kids with Self-Esteem problems
Kids who can't sleep, Can't focus and can't learn
Kids who get sick alot
Does that scare you? It scared me! But those are just the things that COULD happen. It is not at all too late to fix these things and to help our children battle and BEAT these conditions so that they can live healthier, longer lives. (I mean, we want them healthy enough to take care of us in our old age, right?) That is where this great book comes into play.
Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children by Jennifer Trachtenberg, MD, gives you the tools to reverse some of these bad habits. And who of us as parents don't want to help our children live the healthiest lives possible?
The first thing the book does is gives you the tools to see exactly where your children fall in their bad habits. A test to help you determine what you can and should do to have healthier children. (I took the test and passed out realizing how much work I need to do to get my kids back on a healthier track.) BUT it isn't a book to say, "Bad parent! Look what you have done!" It is a book that says, "Hey, let's get these kids healthy NOW." It actually provides you with the tools to start making simple changes now.

After you determine your child's risk factors and the habits that need work, the books dives into how you can turn the bad habits into good ones. Starting with eating habits.
It shows you how to create healthy food habits that will last a lifetime. When I say shows you, I mean in detail. You really learn how to create in your child ways that they can eat that will help them forever. Including menus and recipes and ideas on getting your children on board with this new way of eating.
But good eating habits are only part of it. Kids need to shape up. This generation of gamers is creating sedentary children There is a section in the book that gets kids up and active, doing more than just playing video games.
So, you have the tools to give them healthy eating habits and to get themselves off of their couches and their faces out of their Gameboys, but isn't there more? Of course there is! This book teaches you how to convince your kids that being clean "From teeth to toes" is worth the effort. I loved this section! Teaching good hygiene--even to that tween that things you are a freak and it doesn't matter-- is a great teaching section for kids of all ages!
Other areas this book covers:
Teaching Kids Good Homework Habits (which will lead to good work habits as they get older and live in the real world.)
Giving you the tools to have routines that will build up your child's self esteem. We all know that self-esteem can make or break people. Don't we all want kids who are self assured?
Habits that keep our kids from getting hurt when playing--from sports to life. Hey, I am all about fewer ER visits! What about you?
And finally, tools to stay on top of all of this. Ways to keep your kids healthy and preventing illnesses that threaten our kids the most.
I am sent many books that are for pleasure reading. This is one of those rare books that is not only a pleasure to read, but will make a HUGE difference in the lives of my children.
I highly recommend you pick up
Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children and really dig into it. If not for yourself, do it for you kids. I for one want my kids to live long, healthy lives. (And not just so that they can take care of me when I am old and have dementia and need them to be there for me!) This book is a fantastic tool to get you on the road to healthier kids and keeping them there.
Here's to a healthy future for our children!

No comments: