Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Nurses can make or break the experience....











The linked post and the comments on it further reinforces my thoughts yesterday on how nurses really impact your hospital experience. It also reinforces the idea that fear of lawsuits strongly affects your treatment at a hospital also, which is a real shame, IMHO. Although doctors perform a valuable service and their expertise is very important, I really think nurses are highly undervalued.

My paternal grandmother was a nurse, and in the army as well. I wish I'd had more time with her, I think she had many interesting stories to tell. She met my grandfather in England during WWII. He was shot in the stomach during WWII and that's how they met. I always thought that sounded like a fairy-tale: they met in another country during wartime, she nursed him back to health, they met again back home and married, and had four children together.
Here are a few pictures I have of her in uniform.

1 comment:

Jamie said...

i was actually telling michele the other day that my dream (if i didnt already have a family) would have been to be a nurse in the army. i think it is so neat and must be the most gratifying job in the world! good for her!!!