Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Surprise visitor

We had a surprise visitor last night. We're sitting there watching tv, waiting for Gilmore Girls to come on and waiting for Tom to get home. I hear someone loudly knocking on the door. I know it's not someone we know, because anyone we know well knows that there's a doorbell inside the door. So I approach cautiously, looking out the window before opening the door. It's a policeman!
"We had a 911 call from this address?" "Oh! The baby was playing with the phone!" So he said it was ok, but took my name, birthdate, and phone number and suggested I check the phone since it was busy when they called back. I apologized again. He was very very nice about it.
What are the odds that he would dial those particular numbers, in order, and when the phone was on!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Steph,

That happens a lot when you have small kids in the house and only one set of eyes. I hear it all the time on the scanner down here.

This one house the police had to go there to many times for the child was playing with the phone. The told the parent if they had to come back again for it they would be fined, so be careful.

Amazing how fast they responded to that 911 call and how slow they responded to Tom's call about his van being broke into. I know they have to investigate every 911 called, even if it is a misdialed number. That's the policy.

Sometimes you have to wonder where the reality in all this is.

sajmom said...

That's ok-I'd rather they respond quickly to a 911 call. It's a pain that they respond slowly to the van thing, but that wasn't an emergency. I think it's good that they check out every 911 call. What if someone broke into your house and hung up the phone as you tried to call 911? I'd be pretty darn glad if they checked out that call!!