Search This Blog

Thursday, November 09, 2006

Dr. checkup

Doing the pain-in-the-butt well checkups again. Late, but better late than never. Timothy is exactly 19 pounds at his 1 year checkup. He's 3o inches tall which is between 50th and 75th percentile. His weight is between the 5th and 10th percentile. I asked about percentiles, otherwise they don't tell you.
We had a nice doctor today too. It figures he was just visiting-he has his own private practice, he was just helping them out. He was older and foreign-two qualities that usually mean the doctor's info is outdated, but not in this case. This guy encouraged me to continue breastfeeding; said if people say things about it, that's their problem, not yours; he was anti-medication, by which I mean that he urged natural cures first, drugs as a last resort. He was going through a general overview of the next year and even mentioned that children's cold medications don't work and generally make children hyper and jittery, which I have read also.

The lower weight in comparison with other kids his age is probably largely due to his still breastfeeding. Add to that the fact that I don't give the kids juice(which adds sugar which adds weight) only water and milk. Plus my kids are all pretty picky.
Also keep in mind that kids today are getting fatter and fatter. Basically what I'm saying here is nobody need worry about his weight. He is well above average in development, if there were a problem it would show there.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree, Timothy is doing great! He is such a cutie, irresistible! And I'm glad you finally got a doctor who is pro breastfeeding--it makes a difference. I think there is less support today for breastfeeding then there was when I did it.