Search This Blog

Monday, November 20, 2006

Conference

I had the parent-teacher conference today. He said he had no problems whatsoever with her conduct (that was my biggest worry); in fact he looked really surprised when I questioned him about it. He said that she sits at a difficult table to behave at because she sits with all boys and a few of them are trouble-making ringleaders. He said her reading and writing skills are fine, they're at level but there's room for improvement. Although he tries not to put kids in groups of all boys or all girls or even just one opposite sex member; he said he had to with Leanna because he has to keep the kids in groups of the same level with reading. Otherwise they would get too frustrated if the others were ahead, or too bored if they were ahead.
She received the same scores in math, but he said he's more concerned about the math skills. In math she knows the numbers but needs work on the concepts (groupings, recognizing them out of order, etc). Next week they'll start doing graphs and he said they have only a week to master the skill before he has to move on. I think they cover an awful lot of material. Other than that he just stressed reading to her or maybe practicing things with flash cards. He recommended the simple few sentece books you can buy specifically to help learn reading. He said they sell them at dollar stores-I want to go out now and look!
So overall it was very positive. But there's room for improvement. I'll have to make it a goal of mine to find more time for Leanna. Sometimes I'll do real good, watching her do homework step by step, going over the papers she brings home and making her sound out words. Other times I get distracted or too busy or tired. It's something to work on.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Steph,
I already got them for Leanna, so don't go and buy them. I was ahead of you all.....