Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

physician, heal thyself

Tonight Leanna tried to use a threat to get me to see things her way. I don't remember her exact words. The gist of it was that I explained to her what a threat was, that they aren't very nice, and that kids shouldn't talk that way. She asked me, "Only big people can threat?" And I said, "well they shouldn't, it's not a very nice way of doing things." And she said, "But big people do?" And I explained, "sometimes big people do things that they shouldn't do. They don't always do things right. They shouldn't threaten each other. It's not a nice way to be." Leanna said, "You can't threat because you have to watch me and Justin and Timothy." She has a point.
As we're having this conversation I'm thinking in the back of my head about times that I have used threats with her. I'm mentally cringing because she's making me realize that I'm so far from my ideals. I'm not setting the example I want to set. I take comfort in the fact that at least I realize the lesson she is unwittingly teaching me. That's half the battle, right?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Everybody has moments of weakness when we don't do the right thing.I think it's awesome that you are so concerned about contradicting yourself-I have met so many parents who really don't care about teaching their children to do the right thing just because you should. It's posts like this that are therapeutic for me- alas! A parent who is actively involved in raising responsible,respectful, productive members of society!! There's hope yet!

Anonymous said...

Hallo I absolutely adore your site. You have beautiful graphics I have ever seen.
»