Search This Blog

Monday, May 29, 2006

By the way,

There are always people who are quick to call you selfish for having more than one, or possibly two children. I like this guy's response:

Rich said...
To start with, I have 6 kids, which I guess makes me triply selfish. Or maybe I just looked at US birthrates and realized that we are reproducing at a rate barely above self sustaining. Maybe I learned that the only reason US population is increasing is the combined effects of immigration and longer life expectancies. Maybe I also realized that the birth rates in India and China mean that my contribution to global population, or Anonymous's refusal to contribute is ultimately meaningless. In fact, maybe I knew enough math to realize that global population growth is driven by China, India, and third world nations, not the US.Or maybe my decision to have a large family came from a desire to improve the gene pool by outbreeding ignorant and obnoxious folks who think it seems selfish to have a large family.

I've read about that. In the US & Europe we aren't having enough babies to replace the workforce. People think that overpopulation is a problem here, but it's not.

1 comment:

Jamie said...

i can't imagine someone being selfish when deciding to have a lot of kids, or even one for that matter...i mean, you immediately become SELFLESS, well women do anyway, when you have kids...