Search This Blog

Thursday, May 11, 2006

Learning to sew(sort of)



Justin is sleeping (Halleluja! Halleluja!) and Timothy is happily playing right next to me sitting in the bassinet that is now too small for him. It's ok, I'm right next to him and can easily stop him before he would fall. Leanna is trying to sew. I discovered a sewing kit at the dollar store, so we tried it. She's been asking me to learn to sew for a while now. Well, you do get what you pay for: the kit contained yarn that doesn't quite match the picture, a plastic aida, and a plastic needle that's very hard to thread. No directions, you go by the picture on the front. So it's not just cross stitch, it's counted cross stitch. I have trouble doing counted cross stitch-so I'm not sure why they expect a kid to be able to! But I guess it's a good way to introduce the idea of sewing. Afterall it doesn't matter if she messes it up completely(which she will since it's so difficult) because it was only a dollar. She'll have fun pretending to sew anyway. When we're at Walmart she bugs her Daddy to please go to "the Mommy section" which means the part where they have material.

They say you can teach really young kids to knit, maybe we should try that first. We can learn together!

4 comments:

Star-Crossed Pimp said...

"Tee hee! We weren't sure if Johnny Bear would make it after he accidentally stabbed himself with the sewing needle, but I just plucked it right out of there and he was good as new! Tee hee! Then we all sewed bandages for him to wear."

Michele said...

Jamie can teach you and Leanna how to cross stitch!! She's re-learning right now....

(I'm Jamie's friend from work..)

sajmom said...

Oh, I know how to cross-stitch, I'm just not very good at the counted kind. I invariably mess up and then have to decide whether to undo the sewing or just improvise. I usually improvise. Are you the one whose house Jonathan's birthday party was at? The house with all the neat matching crafty stuff all over the place? (and if you're not, I"m sorry. I'm sure your house is lovely too!)

Anonymous said...

Your are Excellent. And so is your site! Keep up the good work. Bookmarked.
»