Search This Blog

Saturday, March 14, 2009

This is what I'm talkin' about!

I like this post so much I'm just pasting it here instead of putting a link. I soo relate! But my water pressure isn't that great and a shower ALONE with no interruptions is VERY rare for me. But I do love a good shower all by myself,where I can actually hear the thought in my own head!

March 11, 2009
The Shower, My Secret Weapon

At some point between the shampoo and the conditioner, I reach the apex of my day. A thick cloud of steam envelops me. My fingers massage my scalp deeply and vigorously, releasing little pockets of stress as the hair products work their magic on my postpartum hairline.

The shower stills that mad list maker who tallies the birthday presents to buy, the playdates to set up, the babysitters to book, and the long overdue car servicing appointment to schedule. All the irritating details of my life fade away in my warm cocoon. I can hear no children. There's no crying, no fighting, no whining, and not even any naughty laughing. It's just me and my aging body being pampered by the strong jets. I entered an incoherent sleep-starved harried harpy and I will emerge a bright and loving domestic goddess.

For now I am just there, bathing in the moment, revelling in a few minutes of private indulgence. Occasionally the kids break into my reverie. They slide open the foggy goose-bump glass doors and shout their needs at me.
"I told you I don't like mac&cheese! I don't want hot lunch today!"
"Jack stole my pony!"
"Juliette has a poop and it smells bad!"
"Bella called me stupid!"
So I cluck soothing noises, plant wet kisses on hurt limbs and promise I'll be right out before sliding the glass door shut to begin the bittersweet final rinse.

But on those days, those gorgeous, wonderful, undisturbed days when the shower is given the time to work its magic, I achieve true brilliance. I'm probably performing a form of meditation, a mind-clearing exercise to get to the real stuff. Regardless of definition, it's when the solutions appear unbidden: great topics for posts and powerful sentences for insightful essays that Brain,Child and Oprah will enter in a bidding war for the privilege to publish. The world doesn't seem so insurmountable behind the curtain of steam in my private oasis. Naked except for the cascading scalding water, I feel like I can accomplish anything.

This is an original NJ Moms Blog post. When not plotting to take over the world from her shower cubicle, Vanessa Druckman blogs at Chefdruck Musings and Chefdruck Reviews.

1 comment:

ADP said...

Brings back memories of the bliss I encountered while putting a wash on and hanging it up on the line after Laura was born. I had to wait for a certain point to put the fabric softener in the washer so Dave was on his own with you two.....and it felt darn good with just myself.