Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Lessons fromt the past

Clara is a 93 year old woman who lived through the Great Depression. She talks of having very little to eat. Dinners consisted of a hearty helping of starch (usually pasta), veggies, and a small amount of meat. Large families eat like that often, even during good times. Nevertheless, Clara has created a series of YouTube videos showcasing recipes her family enjoyed during hard times. The recipes themselves are only part of the charm. Her musings of days goneby are reason enough to watch the videos. I'm linking episode 1 in the series below. To view the rest, visit Clara's YouTube Channel

2 comments:

ADP said...

Thanks for posting this Steph. I remember how young ppl would laugh at the depression stories, now it's our turn.

2 things--first, I would use coconut oil instead of the olive oil because olive oil causes free radicals when it's cooked.

2nd--cans have plastic linings (and they are toxic) so I would use frozen peas instead.

Sue said...

Very interesting. I don't know if I would like it or not, but I would try some if someone else made it. I like the tomato sauce in it better than having it plain. Looks more colorful. I would add a can of carrots to it, because carrots are good for you too.

I really hope we aren't heading into a depression, because we will not survive it. Some people are used to too much fast foods to even think of eating anything other than that. There were NO fast food places in the era.