Search This Blog

Sunday, March 01, 2009

Tech Savy kids

I ran into an interesting example of how my kids are affected by growing up with technology that didn't exist when I was a kid. Leanna was looking for the Grease Megamix song to play (we use an online playlist for songs) and couldn't find it. I was busy loading the dishwasher and couldn't come right away to help her find it. She got impatient and figured out how to find it anyway. She typed "megamixs greas" and ended up on youtube with a megamix video. Pretty cool, but a little bit scary. She could easily end up on a very bad site while searching for something completely innocent. But I was impressed because I've never showed her how to do a search like that.

We didn't have a home computer until I was in 11th grade. We bought one from my Aunt and Uncle who had a business selling them. My uncle had a computer in his house way before anyone I'd ever known. Had to be early to mid eighties. (Livingston st.)
We set it up on the third floor. I remember them showing us how to use the computer mouse. It felt really strange the first time I tried it, it was jumping all over the place and I had to learn how to control it. My Uncle was impatient with us, he'd been using them for a long time already by then. We played card games on it and used it for typing letters and school essays. In high school we had a computer lab we'd occasionally visit with Macintosh apple computers. In my senior year I took a course called computer skills. It was frightfully easy. Much of it is useless now, we did stuff like learning the F1, F2,etc. keys. There were no computer mouses in our lab. I think the earliest time I used a computer in school was in 5th grade, some computers visited our school for two weeks. We got to visit them once or twice. In middle school I remember doing stuff in DOS in an upstairs computer lab. My kids will read that one day and have no idea what I'm talking about. Everything printed out on that paper with the holes on both edges that you had to rip off. My kids will have such a different experience in that respect.


I've purposely not let the kids do a lot with the computer. I know a lot of people make a big deal out of teaching them as early as possible, but I figure I'd rather they play and use their imaginations more while they're young. It's not like it's all that difficult to learn, they'll catch up easily, especially since they watch me doing it all the time. Leanna's had the most computer use, she's the oldest and I hadn't really formulated my theory yet before she started using it. But even then I tried to limit the time she was on it. I think research backs me up too-it shows that after using the computer for reading on a regular basis you tend to have more difficulty reading regular books, your attention span is shortened. I know I can personally attest to that. A child spending a lot of regular time on the computer in the world of instant clicking and jumping from site to site, refreshing the page, etc. etc., well, that has to affect how you learn to think. Leanna's computer use has skyrocketed since she got into webkinz (one of the reasons I didn't jump on that bandwagon immediately), but I've been using it as a reward lately. Generally she only does it on a Friday night when I go out with my sister. And lately some of that time is spend with Justin and/or Timothy playing games. I can live with that. It's just weird to think about how much has changed in such a short period of time.

2 comments:

Jamie said...

steph you can set your computer up to block certain websites and certain objectionable material...it makes the web less scary for kids to surf around on...

jonathan goes through phases...but for the most part he doesn't spend a huge amount of time on the computer...when he does, he generally goes on PBS kids play which is contained...not just a regular website...you can even set a timer so it kicks the child off after a certain amount of time...it also tracks their learning and tells you where they need more work!

sajmom said...

I know you can block stuff, just haven't messed around with how to do it. Until just now, it hasn't been a concern. I keep a folder with sites like PBS and princess Disney in it and she's always just used that when she goes online.
Sorry, must have come off the wrong way. I don't mean to critisize. There's lots of stuff you can learn,I'm not disputing that. But it sometimes requires more parental participation than I am able or willing to give. You could look at it as a lazy aspect of my parenting-I'm trusitng that they'll pick it all up later.