Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Octomom Hypocrisy

A few excerpts from a newsweek article breifly examining the Octomom:

"Let's take a hard look at the four things about Suleman that ignite the most outrage.......

As for the use of "our" money, it is common knowledge that welfare and other programs such as assistance for women and infants (WIC), disability payments and food stamps are programs actually designed to use taxpayers' money to help pregnant women and children in need, right? There is no freak or idiot clause hidden within these programs. They're there to make sure American children aren't malnourished.
I know; it's unfair that Suleman's children are just as entitled to assistance as the children of people who don't creep us out, but let's not forget, they didn't decide to come into the world this way. And besides, Suleman isn't the only one who's getting "our" money for behavior we disapprove of—bank bailouts, anyone? And many of the institutions that got the first chunk of cash under the financial rescue plan haven't even answered requests from the federal government asking what they've done with the money. At least we know that the worst Suleman can do is buy a whole lot of empty carbs and some dairy with all those food stamps..........
So the question really is how many embryos would you ask to be implanted if you had a history of miscarriages and limited funds? Odds are that you'd pick more than one; only 11 percent of IVF procedures in this country involve a single embryo. "

The article lists the four top complaints and discusses them. I just copied the ones I thought made the best points.

7 comments:

Jamie said...

2 things...

1. there was this crazy thing on one of the news channels where a woman pretended to live off of food stamps to see what it was like...they give you about one dollar a day per person. that's nuts! obviously she ended up buying crappy food just b/c she could only afford that stuff! just saying that even if "octomom" is living "off of food stamps," that's nobody's ideal situation! (as in i'm sure she'd prefer to not receive them!)

2. i hope the gossip columns are wrong when they recently said she turned down free childcare for a year b/c she wanted a reality show contract attached to it! i'd be very upset if the truth was that she was desiring publicity!

sajmom said...

I agree, I think everyone would be just absolutely disgusted if she was just doing it for the publicity. But I do remember thinking when I read some of the same criticisms aimed at Jon and Kate, if I ever found myself in a situation like that, I think I would do whatever it took to ensure that my chldren were taken care of. People complain about them being given freebies, and about them having money now and being at home with their kids.....why is it perfectly ok for celebrities and athletes to do the exact same thing. They get paid to be in public, to make appearances, to hawk products, they get free gifts and free vacations, and very large salaries. Why is it ok for them? I guess I take offense because I put myself in her position.
I know I personally would be able to reduce fetuses. She didn't get pregnant in order to seek fame-she couldn't have known beforehand that all six embryoes would implant, and that two would split. Once it's already happened, if you don't believe in reducing, you have to focus on having healthy babies(which I read she did actually take care while pregnant to give them the best chances) and figuring out how the heck you are going to support them. People are mad at her for costing the taxpayers money, but then again, if she gets a reality show, which is about the only way she'll be able to afford them all completely on her own (and maybe pay back some of the taxpayer's money) people are angry about that too. She really can't win.

sajmom said...

Would NOT! That should read that I would not be able to reduce fetuses! Lucky for everyone, I do not need fertility treatments!

Jamie said...

no, she can't win, your right!

Sue said...

Steph, did you watch Dr. Phil on Monday & Tuesday when she was on there. He did a special presentation so the public really new the whole story. He also gave her a reality check in the process. I only saw bits and pieces of the show because I wasn't interested in her life. I just hope for the kids sake she makes it and they have a normal life.

sajmom said...

No, I didn't see the show. I'm not a fan of Dr. Phill. I've read a few too many stories of how things go behind the scenes, and how he twists things to make his own points.

ADP said...

I can't stand Dr Phil--he creeps me out. But that's beside the point. That is a good point about how the CEO's have stolen our money too. I think we feel more comfortable yelling at this women then we would at a CEO. I really haven't followed the story so I can't comment much.