Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 01, 2008

poor little boy

So the doctor, actually nurse-practitioner I believe, took one look at Jacob and said, oh, we need hydrocortizone for this. I've never had this one before but I actually liked her very much.
Most of the visit was dominated by Eczema. She said she was amazed he had no impetigo also. She said at this point we have to worry that he might scratch the skin open and get a staph infection, so we need to bring the eczema down to a level where it can be controlled by lotion only. The good news is when it happens this young there's a chance it'll go away. If it develops in the teen years or later it's generally with you for life.
He's on an oral antibiotic and I have to make a paste of hydrocortizone mixed with bacitracin to put all over his body. She was going to do an allergy panel but decided against it because of the severity of the eczema. She said without knowing he was breastfed that with just a glance at him she would have said "milk allergy!" But he's not had cow's milk yet, firsthand. He first broke out before he'd even had solids yet. She asked me not to give him any milk or
new foods either. In fact, she recommended that I try to stay away from milk for a while to see if it helps Jacob. I mentioned that I suspect that all four kids have a mild allergy, probably to dairy. We didn't even do any shots because she wanted things to clear up first (which I am grateful for!). She said basically this is his immune system gone awry. She kept commenting that she couldn't believe how happy he was considering how bad his eczema was. He was a little flirt with everyone there, secretaries, nurses, student doctor, and the nurse practitioner. We go back in a month so she can check his progress.

2 comments:

Sue said...

I'm really glad someone is concerned about his eczema and is doing something for it. It should have been done long before now. I put the blame on the doctors for not nipping it in bud, before now. Poor Jacob! It is sure amazing how happy he is and not miserable from it because I'm sure it must itch. He is such a cute little boy.

Jamie said...

can you just go straight to a dermatologist? i've dealt with skin problems my whole life and even dermatologists have trouble getting it under control...just a thought, you may be able to lessen the time of trying to treat it between the time that it is under somewhat of a control. sun helps me, i'm not sure if they mentioned that...although, i generally only have psoriasis, not eczema... and on a positive note, while i had it from head to toe as a child, its only on my hands and feet now! whoo hoo! so like you said, he has a good chance of outgrowing it!