Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

More fun at the library and smoking (or not!)

So we're back from yet another eventful trip to the library. We were done with our books early this week and had to go to the bank anyway, so it was on our way. The boys got little bug finger puppets as their reward. Oh yes-they LOVED them. Timothy immediately began bouncing his on the stroller tray singing loudly, "BUGGA! BUGGA! BUGGA-BUGGA!" Over and over and over. Jacob then made an attempt to jump to freedom. And Justin got really loudly excited about the fact that he could see the bank from the window. All at the same time!! About two minutes later we left. But we came back again after running our errands. Jacob had fallen asleep and Timothy was warned he would get no lollipop if he could not behave! I know, bribery-with sweets!!-I win the worst mother of the week award, but it was all I had left at the time. Beating your kids in public is kind of frowned on (JOKING!),putting him in a corner in the library would have been a reward, no other threat was working, and taking the bug away would cause MORE noise......so........we managed to grab our new books and I filled out 4 entries in some contest to win a trip to either Hershey Park, the Philly Zoo, or two other places I can't think of. The librarian said she thinks all libraries in PA are having the contest.
Now that I have vented a little, the real reason for my post-Leanna chose a book called Choices and Decisions: Smoking. She said, maybe we can read this to Daddy so he stops smoking. It looked like it might be a bit above their level, but I figured either way it couldn't hurt. I'm pretty sure that will be a battle for us, Timothy in particular is affected by Tom's smoking. Any chance he gets he will put a cigarette butt in his mouth and pretend to smoke. If he sees an empty cigarette pack in the garbage he will pull it out to play with. The boys really look up to their father so I know it will be that much more difficult to convince them that it's a habit they just don't want to begin. Even Leanna has stuck things in her mouth and said she's smoking. Timothy is the worst though, by far. I'm pretty sure Tom's not about to stop because of a book we brought home, but maybe it might help a little for the kids!

3 comments:

Sue said...

I really wish both Tom and Chuck would STOP smoking. Chuck coughs terribly, you would think that would stop him from lighting up that cigarette. I'm so glad I stopped 27 years ago. Cigarettes sold at .90 a pack at that time. I made a pledge to myself way back then that if they reached $1.00 a pack I was going to quit. I got real sick on Dec.29th and was sick for 3 months, so that helped me a great deal to quit. When I had a cold or virus I couldn't smoke, so I guess since I went 3 months without one, I can go the rest of my life without one. Boy am I glad I did, look at the price of cigarettes now.

Jamie said...

Sue, the sad thing is that Chuck may be doing more damage to your body with second hand smoke than him! I say kick him out on the porch to smoke!!!

sajmom said...

Yeah, I have to give you credit, Sue, that was really great that you were able to do that. So many people try to quit and aren't able. The only people I know who have truly quit are the ones who go cold turkey (although I've also heard of people who used hypnotism to quit for many years at a time)