Search This Blog

Saturday, July 12, 2008

A new hobby


So we've been introduced to the world of Webkinz today. For anyone who doesn't know, they are stuffed animals that come with a code to log into a virtual world. You see an online version of your pet and you care for them. They get hungry and sick and happy. You have to watch those levels to take care of your pets. Leanna got three of them from my Mom for her birthday. We finally set up an account today. She named her poodle Sage, her pig Pigrs, and her frog Giggles.

I had no idea-there's a whole online world for those things! Wow. You name them and they tell you the pets' basic personality traits. You can walk them around, decorate their rooms, send them to school, buy clothes, furniture, and knicknacks for them. You can even buy extra rooms for their house! In fact, that's what Leanna is trying to earn money for-to buy a backyard for her house. You can answer quiz questions to earn money or you can even work a job. I like that-it introduces the idea that you can't just buy whatever you want, you have to earn it. But I don't like how easy it would be to just spend hours online playing in this virtual world.

2 comments:

Sue said...

I think that is wonderful a thing for Leanna to develop a relationship with her friends and she can build a life around them or for them. My girlfriend, Arlene, has 2 granddaughters and they love the webkins. I wanted to get them for her for some time now, but you kept telling me she wouldn't be interested, but I'm so glad she is, because they have so many she can collect to build a family.

The store by me is called "Secret Garden" they have them all and they aren't that expensive, so now I have a good Christmas idea for her, Justin and Timothy, when they are older. Because the boys will really like them too.

It is also good for them when they start computer courses in school. Kids need to have a computer these days when they get in middle school on up to do their homework. I found all this out from my girlfriend, Karen. So, this is good training in computer skills for her.

sajmom said...

People make a big deal out of getting kids on the computer early but it's not really a difficult skill. I find that they pick up using a computer in a heartbeat. Then they don't want to get off the computer. Between tv, computers, and video games we really do have to be careful how much time kids spend just sitting there. It can also contribute to short attention spans. It really is something you have to be careful of. I already have a hard time getting Leanna off the computer when she goes on. Kids use computers in kindergarden today, they don't have to wait until middle school. Even when I was in school we had computers first visit us when we were in elementary school.
I don't ever remember you mentioning Webkinz, maybe you called them a different name? I only heard of them recently. Timothy is too young for them, and Justin could do it, but I'd prefer to wait. Maybe at Christmas? On the site they recommend them for ages 6-20. You really should be able to read to play with them online.