Search This Blog

Saturday, July 19, 2008

Do I need to point out that I'm the Oldest?

Does your older sister think she’s cleverer than you? Well, she’s probably right. According to new research due to be published this week in the journal Intelligence, the oldest children in families are likely to have the highest IQs, and the youngest the lowest.
In ya face, Laura! Claire!
This is old news, but I ran across this and thought some of the info it contained was interesting. I don't agree with everything they speculate on, particularly as a parent of 4. I also thought it was very interesting that they say asthma and Execema rates decrease with each child because in my family it's the opposite. With my kids, Jacob is the youngest and he has it the worst, by far. Also I have no allergies, Laura has some , and Claire has them fairly bad plus some mild excema. (hers is ab0ut like Justin's I think, we didn't even realize she'd had it until Justin was diagnosed.)
I fit many of the stereotypes for an oldest sibling, but not all. I think you have to take it all with a grain of salt-there are so many factors that influence this stuff and they are just speculating on much of it. It does make for interesting reading and I do keep the info in mind as a parent.

2 comments:

Sue said...

Steph, I don't know if I agree with that study, because out of my brother and me, I feel he is way more intelligent than me, but I think I know more when it comes to life in general.

I struggled thru school, where my brother never had to study to get good grades. When I was going for my GED and I took my test, WOW! It just amazed me that I scored so well at the age of 47. Who would have thought I was that intelligent at that age. I think I got more intelligent as I grew older. Because when I was in school I thought I wasn't too smart, LOL.

Also, when it comes to Bill and Tom, I think Tom was more intelligent than Bill when they were in school. But now they each have their own intelligence when it comes to there professions, like Bill knows a lot about caring for cars than Tom and Tom knows a lot when it comes to building things. So, I guess every child has their own intelligence where it comes to their line of work, verses intelligence in school. Some kids just amaze me how smart they are, like my neighbor boys, Michael and Robbie. They are both cousins to each other and boy are they smart. Robbie is an only child, so you can't compare him to a sibling. Michael is an only child to his father, but he has other step-siblings that live in the south, but Michael is extremely intelligent for an 8th grader. Both boys were on the high honors in their class, Robbie in his senior class and Michael in his 8th grade graduating class. So, how does this article work for only one child in the family?

sajmom said...

You have to consider that 1. there are always exceptions and 2.there are other factors that can affect whether your personal situation is different than the people in the study.
This study was only measuring IQ points, not how sucessful you are or if you have other types of intelligence (such as being mechanically inclined). So those wouldn't affect the results of the study. Also, the study was measuring siblings from the same parents. Bill and Tom aren't in that group, so their results wouldn't apply. In the case of you and your brother, your Mom favored your brother because he was a boy. I think that your brother was given the extra attention that they speculate is what causes the IQ to be higher. That's only a guess but that could also explain why you don't fit the mold. Or it could be something else entirely or you could just be one of the exceptions.