Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Long doctor Visit

I managed to schedule a doctor's visit for both Justin and Jacob yesterday. I thought I'd be saving myself some time that way. Ha!
I timed it-2 hours and 50 minutes to get out of there. Imagine being trapped in a tiny room with four kids and with medical equipment no one can touch for almost 3 hours. Oh yeah, and they've skipped naps because that would have happened about the time we had to leave and they're getting hungry. Oh it was fun.
Timothy took off his shoes as soon as we got in the office. He also has this thing where he thinks he needs to strip to only a shirt when he goes to the bathroom. That wouldn't be so bad if he'd put the clothes back on before he comes out again. (there was a very embarrassing incident at Tony's pizza a few weeks ago where he came out of the bathroom, naked waist down, grinning like crazy while holding himself and running down a long aisle like a runway star) (For the record I was feeding the baby and Tom was talking to someone elsewhere, so Leanna had taken him but couldn't control that).
There was one huge window which on a short visit would have been a good thing because it overlooked a bunch of cars. I had them guess how many cars were out there, and Timothy kept insisting cars were "racercars" and Justin would argue with him, and Leanna aruged that her girl scouts were right around the corner. But they kept standing in the window itself, and while I personally know them and their climbing abilities well enough to know that they're likely just as safe there as they are on the floor (particularly when you consider how clumbsy they can be) nurses and doctors will freak if they see a kid standing on any surface not the floor. I know they worry about lawsuits and all that fun stuff, but for that long a visit they need to amuse themselves somehow. And they were being watched, it wasn't as though they could have wrestled on the large windowsill-I had at least my ears and usually my eyes on them as well. They were just watching cars.
They were also fascinated with the large metal garbagecan because it had a long bar on the bottom to step on to open it. At one point they were jumping on the bar and the lid would slam into the wall. Loudly. That had to be quickly stopped.
Even though we talked about what would happen beforehand, Justin still refused to cooperate with the nurses. He did not want them to touch him in any way. He didn't want to stand on the scale or have his height checked. In the end, the only things we couldn't do was a vision test, check one ear, and walk for the doctor. Why he wouldn't walk, I don't know. I told her, I can assure you he walks, runs, and climbs just fine!
Even Leanna had to be told not to touch the baby scale and not to make her brothers scream.
So yes, it was so much fun, all around.

1 comment:

Sue said...

You must have very good patience, Steph, that's all I can say for the loooooong time in a small room. I would have been a basket case when I came out of that room. I'm glad it's over and done for now.