Search This Blog

Thursday, August 23, 2007

For me, not you

Just a reminder (and a very good point):(EDIT: NOTE: this is someone else's comment, not mine)
Oh, thank goodness I've found this forum! I've been scouring the web ever since I found out about TDBFB. The authors definitely noticed that boys have forgotten how to have unstructured fun, and they are to be commended for that. What's been neglected is that girls have NEVER really been able to engage in unstructured outdoor play - there's such a huge societal stigma against a tree-climbing little girl. This book reminds me of why I hated being a girl twenty years ago. We just didn't have the same freedom as boys.
And this continues. The girls at the PRESCHOOL where I taught a couple years ago often came wearing platform shoes, which they couldn't possibly run around in. I think a girls book should simple contain a chapter called "How to play without sitting down"
Also, tree-climbing. And using a compass.

2 comments:

ADP said...

"You hated being a girl?" huh? You never told me that.

sajmom said...

I didn't write this post, I copied it here because I thought she made a good point. Didn't you notice she said she worked at a preschool? I never worked at a preschool (Unless you count my home!)