Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 08, 2006

another article on cosleeping

From my fav. blog, katie allison Granjou:

the family bed
I slept with all three of my babies in my bed and even wrote a book about it. So I have pretty strong opinions on family bedding, and was pleased to see this excellent new article from. Dr. James McKenna on the topic.
a few short sections for those of you who don't want to read the whole thing:

".....a consideration of human infant and parental biology and psychology reveals the existence of powerful physiological and social factors that promote maternal motivations to cosleep and explain parental needs to touch and sleep close to baby.....But infants usually have something to say about bed-sharing, too; and, for some reason they remain unimpressed with declarations as to how dangerous sleeping next to mother can be. Instead, ancient and irrepressible neurologically-based infant responses to maternal smells, movements and touch altogether reduce infant crying while positively regulating infant breathing, body temperature, absorption of calories, stress hormone levels, immune status and oxygenation. In short, cosleeping (whether on the same surface or not) facilitates positive clinical changes including more infant sleep and seems to make babies happy. In other words, unless practiced dangerously, sleeping next to mother is good for infants. And the reason why it occurs is because it is supposed to."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It may be good for some, but it wasn't good for me. I needed my own space away from baby. I also bottle fed my boys. I think it is different from breast fed babies than bottle fed babies. In my opinion, that is. The only time my sons slept with me was when they were sick. Other than that, they slept in their own bed.
I threw off so much heat that I liked a fan on when I slept to make my room cold.
But to each is own, it doesn't bother me where they sleep.

sajmom said...

You were a hot Mama!
(I know-awful but I couldn't resist!)