Search This Blog

Monday, June 11, 2007

At the midwife's today I found out the baby's breech right now. He's extremely active, so hopefully he'll change positions on his own before the birth. She gave me an excersize to do everyday to take advantage of gravity to hopefully move him into position. I have to go back again next week and if he's still breech then we'll do an ultrasound to see exactly how he's lying. And talk about options then. He could be sideways, feet down in a pike position, or feet down in a cannonball position. So send positive thoughts my way!

Also checked and found out she has no problem showing Leanna the placenta-she's very curious about that and the umbilical cord. We asked what color it is(before you cut it and it gets black), and she turned to Leanna and nicely explained a little to her. (It's white, almost clear, the color of a medical glove with three vessels)
I also asked if she by any chance had an empathy belly. Unfortunately no, she said they're very expensive. She laughed and asked who I wanted to wear that, and I said "My husband!" and she laughed even harder. She asked why and I told her, he has absolutely no conception of what this feels like, and no sympathy. Getting a chance to feel it even temporarily might help a little.

4 comments:

ADP said...

I don't think it would help Tom to understand even if he did wear "the" vest. Yeah, it goes beyond the physical.....

sajmom said...

It might help just a little-it's not the same as living it everyday, and of course it doesn't cover things like heartburn and acid comming up or the energy loss and many other oh so fun symptoms. But it shows you how physically different you feel everyday with the extra weight.

Jamie said...

good luck steph! it is unusual to have a baby be breech when you've alread had other kids? i'm sure he's just being stubborn and will turn when he's ready :-)

sajmom said...

I don't think the number of children you have has anything to do with it. It seems like it's a random thing although the shape of your uterus or a problem with the baby could encourage it. I guess at full term 3-4% of all babies are breech at onset of labor. At 28 weeks' gestation 25% of babies are breech, and the percentage decreases approaching term (40 weeks' gestation). So if he stays that way I'll have to try to keep him in there as long as possible (sigh!)