Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 24, 2007

midwife visit

I was kind of worried about the midwife visit today. It was supposed to be at 9:40, but they called me at 8:30 to push it back til later because she was delivering a baby. I couldn't go any later though because of taking Leanna to school, so we had to go after she got out of school. The last time we were there Justin was kind of a tiny terror. Usually the kids do well when we go out somewhere, but for some reason he's been kind of rammy at the midwives' office. I was really impressed though, because today he just sat in the chair and watched. That was a big relief for me. Leanna "helped" the midwife with finding the heartbeat by cleaning the gel off my belly afterwards. Usually they let her use the doppler to actually find the heartbeat, but it's too early for that yet. At this stage finding the baby's heartbeat is all about angles. She reassured me that it is normal to be unable to tell whether your nausea is from being hungry, eating too much and being too full, or just feeling sick. She recommended I eat lots of protein because it lasts longer. She said keep eating, because it doesn't seem to be affecting me (I've only gained a pound in the last month). We discussed that we may have to use a different hospital this time because they are boycotting the one I've always used. Apparently a woman asked for an epidural and it took them 4 hours to get it to her. They pay this guy $1,000/hr. to be on call and he can't even do his job! Anyone thinking they're in the wrong field?! She said this is the third time this has happened and the hospital doesn't care. As she said, she doesn't have many who use an epidural, but if a woman wants it, she should be able to get it. Geez. I've lost a lot of respect for doctors and hospitals since I started having babies.

2 comments:

Michele said...

Might I ask which hospital that was?

Also, thanks for the link to the blog...I enjoyed (sniff, sniff) reading it!

sajmom said...

I guess I can list it, it's a general enough name-Sacred Heart.