Search This Blog

Sunday, January 21, 2007

Foresters group

This weekend I talked with a non-profit insurance company rep again. It's a group my parents belong to and they offer social aspects as well as insurance, financial counseling, financial products, scholarships, etc. Even without being a member the rep. talked to me about the importance of having a will-especially as a parent. In PA law, if Tom and I would die, the kids would go into foster care until the courts decided who to give them to, even if family members were willing and able to take them in immediately. That's scary.
The rep. seems genuinely into her job, which I think is important. And I love that the organization's profits go to helping children instead of just to already wealthy shareholders. They partner with the Children's Miracle Network, Barnardo's Children's Charity and the assoc. of Children's Hospices, Big Brothers/Big Sisters, etc. They do things like having kids put together Easter baskets for local orphanages. I like that event like that would help reinforce values I'm trying to teach the kids. I have her card and I will definitely call her once we are completely on our feet again! I'm also glad that my parents are wise enough to plan financially, and to try to see to it that their children do also.

1 comment:

Star-Crossed Pimp said...

Wow, that does sound good. They should get me a card next time. Just for future reference.