Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Insurance & pregnancy

The insurance program finally figured out that I'm pregnant and called to enroll me in their pregnancy program. So I asked about the pregnancy throwing me into medicaid (which it will) and she assured me that this time it won't kick me off insurance simply for becoming pregnant.

I'm in the Adultbasic program, and the first time I had enrolled, when I became pregnant with Justin they said I had to switch to medicaid because there are lower income requirements when you are pregnant. Then after I had the baby I was left with no insurance because once you're no longer pregnant, the income requirements for medicaid are higher. I was supposed to go back on my insurance afterwards, but for whatever reason it didn't work that way and I was put on the waiting list to get back on the insurance. The irony of it was that they kicked me off the adult basic program right before I was about to give birth, so the insurance lasted until the day after my due date. Medicaid started a month before I gave birth. So the adult basic program ended up paying for the birth anyway. The only thing medicaid paid for was my 6 week after birth checkup! And for that I lost my insurance!

So anyway, going on medicaid is actually a good thing for me. It means for the duration of the pregnancy I will have vision and dental, which I currently do not have. Right now I use Tom's contact supply because I"m out of mine and we don't have the money to replace them. They're a bit weak for me, but they work well enough. So this is really helpful for me to have. I can get eyeglasses with two ear peices! LOL, but really I'm looking forward to that.
It'll take a bit til I get the paperwork, fill it out, and it gets processed. But this time around the lady assured me I won't lose my insurance. The lady at county assistance knew nothing about holding my spot in adult basic, but I'll talk to the insurance about it again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Don't you just love insurance? What a pain! I hope everything works out OK for you in the end.

Jamie and I deal with insurance companies on a daily basis at work. I just don't understand how they can know what is best for the patients?