Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 16, 2007

dreams & instincts

Sunday night I had a baby dream. It was about two boys and I'm pretty sure one of them was Justin. I don't know if the other boy was Timothy or if it was the new baby or just a random baby. So I don't know if this is my gender prediction dream or not. My dreams correctly predicted Leanna and Justin's sex. With Timothy I had only one baby dream and it didn't reveal whether it was a boy or girl.
That was a very strange dream where I was in the hospital and a male doctor( I had female midwives in real life) was telling me my baby was dead. The baby was lying on a table and I knew, I just knew the baby was fine, I just had to get everyone to listen to me! I wonder if that wasn't foretelling the whole jaundice thing.
I knew Timothy was ok and that they were making a big deal of nothing. He was never actually very yellow, every medical person commented on that (except the very rude male doctor who acted as though we were abusive parents for wanting to take our child home early). He was actually very red, and the worry would be that the red blood cells could have suddenly broken down leaving too much bilerubin in his body which would make him turn very yellow all the sudden. I did my research (I love the internet!!) and realized that jaundice is a normal condition in a breastfed baby and the best way to get rid of it is to breastfeed as often as possible. So I stopped worrying so much and focused on what I should have been focusing on all along-feeding the baby and making him feel loved. A newborn baby doesn't need a mother full of worry and concern. Once I stopped worrying so much he actually did start eating more. The lesson I took from it was that I need to trust my instincts more. All women should. Science has taken that away from us. I'm not saying there are no benefits to modern science. I think it's wonderful as a backup. And in situations where things are not working as they should. But women should trust that their bodies can do what they are meant to do, and that we know our children best. Some people seem to be born knowing instinctively what to do, and others develop instincts later unless they stop paying attention because they are sure doctors and science know better.
(an example most women can relate to-doctors told women that sugar doesn't make kids act hyper. Yet most women found it did! Now they say it's sugar without fiber that makes kids go crazy. For example a peice of fruit has sugar, but the fiber makes the sugar be distributed more slowly in the kid's system. A candy bar means a sugar rush, leaving the body to crash after the sugar, hence the wild behavior from the child. And I think some children respond more than others to sugar (or other particular foods). Who are you going to listen to-the doctor or your own experience and observations which tell you every time your child eats that they go nuts?
I'm way off from where I started here, and I know I could have explained some of this better, but my time is always limmited, so I have to make due with a stream-of conscience writting. Sorry if I'm not very clear here!

No comments: