Search This Blog

Monday, September 21, 2009

A good point

This is from a review of a book about Laura Ingalls Wilder, the part I highlighted is what caught my attention:

Endearing mementoes from the life of a national treasure, August 18, 1999
By A Customer

This scrapbook of photos and souvenirs from the life of Laura Ingalls Wilder is enthralling. How did these precious items survive trips in all kinds of weather in a covered wagon, moves that covered several states and entailed unimaginable hardships? I did not come to the Wilder books until I reached 70, yet I'm fascinated. To me, the heroine of these odysseys was Ma. Her accomplishments were in no way secondary to those of her adventurous and resourceful husband. Ma gave birth alone, braved blizzards and fires and plagues with the children while her husband was away. This book of remembrances makes it all real and true and is as educational as the Little House books themselves. A winner.

As I read Little House in the Big Woods to the kids, it really struck me what a hard life they, particularly Ma, had. As a child, I was seeing everything through Laura's perspective. But as an adult, I see that Laura's Ma was a very strong woman. You had to go through so many steps just to get food on the table! These books really are an amazing read, I'm glad I've had the opportunity to see them through adult eyes.

From an essay Written by Heather Marie Kosur© 2007 Rock Pickle Publishing, "Every day began with the same routine for the Ingalls women. Ma first prepared breakfast for her family, and Laura and Mary helped her wipe the dishes dry. Then, the girls made the beds, and Ma pushed the trundle bed under the big bed. After all that preliminary work, the daily household chores finally began. After rereading Little House in the Big Woods as an adult, I am amazed by the thorough representation of female work roles Wilder includes in her story that I now more fully recognize. But, as Eaton reveals, the chores and "other memories of pioneer life...are described with zest and humor," which adds to the timeless appeal of the story."
The books really are a national treasure, what a great peice of history! Even more amazing is that she remembered all these details beginning when she was almost 6 years old, and didn't write the books until about age 60!

No comments: