Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

AG: The Thinking Girl's Barbie?



As you can see, she likes to go to sleep with the dolls.




An article from Slate on American Girls. I've been meaning to post on this topic for forever! I'm inspired by a message I found on my phone (a few hours to late to watch!) from my Mother-in-Law that Dr. Phil had a special on American Girls on. I'm not a fan of Dr. Phil, but I'm sure it would have been interesting anyway. I'm aware there's a lot of criticism of the dolls out there, particularly on the Internet so I was eventually intending to write about why I encouraged and nurtured Leanna's love of the dolls. I have no idea which side Dr. Phil came down on. So a bit late, I'm finally addressing the topic!

I introduced Leanna to the American Girls, and encouraged that interest. I was at the tail age that they're directed towards when they originally came out. So this wasn't an aspect of my childhood that I was reliving or even one that I lost out on and wanted. I just love the idea of them. I love that there is a doll that has a background, tells a story, and that they are educational. I am a huge American history buff, so this just falls right in line with my interests. I love that each doll is linked with a whole series of books that tell the story of the doll's life in that particular time period. They bring history alive for young girls. I love how the company started, from Wikipedia:
In 1983 educator, writer, and entrepreneur Pleasant T. Rowland was looking for dolls to give her nieces for Christmas. She found baby dolls (which emphasize mothering) and teenage or adult dolls (which emphasize future aspirations of an older age), but no dolls that realistically represented girls in an eight-to-twelve age range. This experience was coupled with a visit to Colonial Williamsburg that demonstrated the value of making history accessible, and inspired Rowland to create Pleasant Company's American Girl line of historical dolls and books.

I love that the company makes a whole line of books devoted to relevant topics for young girls. They make a magazine that doesn't sexualize young girls like so many other magazines do, without being boring or patronizing. It doesn't have adds from any other companies either! It's all wholesome and teaches girls to believe in themselves and in their dreams. I've read rave reviews of the magazine several places.

The company gets a lot of criticism for being so expensive (the dolls are about $95 retail. I got Leanna's on ebay!) and for encouraging rampant consumerism. Naturally, I would love for them to be more affordable, particularly with my financial background. I would argue that how consumerist you get with it could largely be determined by the girl's parents though. You don't have to buy all the clothes and items. You could have your daughter save her allowance for items, or have her do special chores to earn it. They can come as gifts from relatives or parents for birthdays and special occasions, or on a bonding mother/daughter trip to the AG store. All this could lead to conversations on what is/isn't worth saving up for, why quality is important. The dolls are expensive, but they are heirloom quality. There can be discussions on how these clothes are different from what we wear today and what functions they served (a tea party dress, riding clothes, St. Lucia's Christmas gown, Sunday best outfits, baking outfits, etc.) in the time period they represent. Not to mention that you can make your own clothes for the dolls much cheaper, if you are so inclined. And there are online stores devoted to selling clothes that fit the AG dolls for a cheaper price, not to mention ebay!
I like these from the comments on the slate article:

For amhuy, ......."It was all about the story. Like others who posted here, I was also obsessed with any story containing any independent girl fighting for it: Anne of Green Gables, Heidi, Secret Garden. …" A related point came from RW99:
The lasting appeal of the dolls went beyond the cute outfits and accessories, it was directly related to the stories told in their books, the ways in which these girls faced problems and challenges and overcame them with the help of their family and friends. Besides my everlasting idol, Laura Ingalls, they were the only female role models who stood out for me at that age (I'm talking 8-10 years old) as more than just the typical "helpless girl," who usually had a brother who got to do all the cool stuff.
We know all about that in my house. My son, aged about 6, once complained that his sister had hit him with her doll. It sounded so funny that we laughed, at which he said, "Yes but Samantha is very solid." That became a family joke, but hey, maybe there's something to it. MR … 3:30 p.m. GMT

From The crotchety gripings of a fan, fifteen years strong)by papageiena : .......However, you guys really touched on something important. It is still expensive and materialist, but they're some of the few things available now to be good role models for girls. They're still encouraging girls to be strong, intelligent, and themselves. It's harmless play, but it doesn't feel sterilized or hysterically-feminist and it treats girls with respect. There's no boy-crazy bollocks or make-over parties (or worse), but instead, it acknowledges a lot of us want to go on adventures, do the right thing, and make the most of ourselves.
American Girl Dollsby Derry Mary:.....Thanks for the discussion of American Girl dolls. My youngest daughter loved Samantha and got one for Christmas 1988. She picked Samantha because Samantha was from the same era as my daughter's great-grandmother (with whom she shared a birthday and this g-grandmother lived to be 97!) So, they were able to share many stories about life of Grandma Lorena and discuss many issues that were brought up in the books. They developed a lovely bond and my daughter also deepened her love of history even more. Also, my daughter and I were able to share a great many interests as well through these dolls-sewing, reading, history. My daughter is nearly 30 now and I no longer live in America, but we still share our love of sewing, history and dolls forged when she was just a little American girl herself.
Yes, they are rather pricey; but when I got my daughter's doll, it cost $70. She started saving for the doll (we knew we were going to get it for her for Christmas any way) but she was diligent in saving for the doll. By Christmas, she had nearly enough to buy the doll as was so excited to use the money she had saved to order more accessories. She learned about saving and working to earn something that she wanted and carries that lesson to this day.
I for one think the American Girl dolls are a great idea and even continue to read the catalog on line!I hope that the movie will be shown here in Ireland. I only wish I had a grand-daughter to share it with!! Thanks for the article! It was nice to hear what adult American Girls got out of the dolls.

The dolls also tell stories of the not so pleasant side of life as well. The dolls or their friends face difficult situations that real American girls face. But the books deal with them in ways that the girls learn to be strong and upbeat, even in difficult situations. They have books that teach girls about managing money, about "The Care and Keeping of You" and about babysitting, about dealing with siblings, about dealing with friends. This year's doll of the year, Chrissa, deals with bullying, and I did get one Chrissa book and a workbook type book for Leanna because of her experiences at school this year. So the company not only teaches history, but also discusses relevant issues for girls today!

For a while before last Christmas, I talked to Leanna about how the dolls were expensive dolls, that they were very good quality and should be treated with care. I warned her that I didn't know if we'd ever be able to get them because they were so expensive. And that if she ever did she'd have to keep them away from her brothers!! You have to be responsible to own expensive dolls like that! I introduced the books, borrowed from the library, first before Santa brought the dolls. She was hooked on the Kirsten books right away. And the catalogues are fun to look through and dream! I do vaguely remember looking at one or two of them way back in the day. Even if I had the money, there are some items that are so ridiculously expensive that I still wouldn't buy them. And I let Leanna know that. But it's fun to look through and dream about it! For us,the dolls are both a bonding experience and an educational one!

3 comments:

Sue said...

You have the Dr. Phil Show all wrong on the American Girl Doll.

He had the author of American Doll on his show and they were addressing young girls like Leanna.

The show was about young girls Leanna's age to teenage ages, addressing being bullied, peer pressure, etc. The stage was filled with young girls asking Dr. Phil and the author of American Girl questions about what to do about being bullied, what is the age to wear makeup, the fashion trends, etc. This one girl asked, what do you do when you want to wear the fashions that are popular, but your family can't afford it. An 8 yr. old asked what is the right age to wear makeup, because she wanted to wear it and her mother is a lawyer for Dr. Phil and she won't let her. The author and Dr. Phil asked her why she wanted to wear it and she didn't know. So, they both told her when the reason for wearing makeup is greater than the reason that everyone else is, then you'll know. The 11 yr. old girl was telling them that she can't even ride her bike in her neighborhood for the girls that are in her school bully her. The author told her that when those girls say things to her, answer them with one word answers i.e. WHATEVER and she did it with an attitude, WOW and she did it with another attitude. She said usually they back down and let you alone. Dr. Phil told her to love yourself. He said as long as you love yourself these girls can't break you.

It was just an awesome show with these young girls and their mothers. It was a very good show for you and Leanna to watch together. Korrina and Maree should have watched it too, because Maree is at the entrance of being a teenager.

If you would like to view the show on the internet, go to, www.hulu.com and you can watch any show for free, as long as it is published.

I really don't know why some people are against Dr. Phil, but I love his show. It addresses so many everyday issues and concerns. This year shows he travels to different cities, and the one show he was on a train doing a show with the people.

Sue said...

If you like the American Doll so much, then I recommend you watch this Dr. Phil's show with Leanna. It was a GREAT show for young girls. I really like the author of the American Girl. Her and Dr. Phil really addressed the issues that Leanna and Maree are facing in this world of peer pressure and wanting to fit in.

sajmom said...

I stated that I didn't know what Dr. Phil said about American Girl. I didn't say he was against them, I wanted to address the topic for a long time. This just reminded me of it. I'll watch it when I get a chance, too busy today. Thanks, I appreciate your thinking of us and even sending me the link!! We'll have to watch it together when we get a chance!
(Maree's been a teenager now for AT LEAST a few years! Maybe not in physical age, but in mental age!)